Taking care of Apeks DS4/ATX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought my first set of regs - Apeks DS4 first stage and ATX50 second stages. Also bought OMS hoses and SPG. I don't have my own tank so I can't purge the regs at home, which is where I clean my gear after diving. Since I can't purge them, is it still advisable to rinse them in fresh water at home or is it better to leave them alone?

Daryl Morse:
I just bought my first set of regs - Apeks DS4 first stage and ATX50 second stages. Also bought OMS hoses and SPG. I don't have my own tank so I can't purge the regs at home, which is where I clean my gear after diving. Since I can't purge them, is it still advisable to rinse them in fresh water at home or is it better to leave them alone?

You should rinse them thoroughly even without a tank. I suggest that you turn the inhalation adjustment in slowly until it stops. Next, make certain that the yoke/DIN fitting is adequately covered with the protective cap. Allow warm water to run over the first stage for at least a minute taking care to pull back any hose protectors to ensure proper rinsing of the hose fittings.

Finally run the warm water over the second stage making certain that all surfaces are thoroughly rinsed. I also run the water through the mouthpiece allowing water to run through the exhaust tee. Make certain that you don't push the purge button while rinsing the reg.

If you prefer, you can soak the unit in warm water for a few minutes before using this procedure. If the reg has been used in salt water, I recommend the soaking as salt crystals are rough on the reg.

Store the reg with the second stage inhalation adjustments in the full out position (counter clockwise), as this helps alleviate premature wear of the poppet seat.

Don't use any protective sprays on the reg, as they aren't needed. Store the reg in a cool, dry area away from UV light and ozone producing machinery.

Greg Barlow

nice post Greg. even easier then the atx50 manual!!

Greg Barlow:
Thanks. I just hope that such advice can be of assistance.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the reply. Now that I've made the investment, I want to take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom