Taking baked goods into Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does Cozumel airport allow you to bring in home made baked goods?

I know they have the dog sniff through your carry-on so that you don't bring in food.

How about home made baked goods in checked luggage?

I'm traveling soon and want to take treats for friends who live on the island.

They're primarily interested in meat and produce, so you *may* not have problems with baked goods. The more "packaged" it is, the better. That is, the more it looks like some sort of commercial product, the less concerned they're going to be about potential introduction of pathogens.

Maybe you can put the baked goods inside those nice Christmas cookie Tins in order to get a little less interest?

There is a dog that sits outside sniffing the checked luggage as well. I agree with the post above, the better it is packaged the less of an issue you should encounter (IMHO).

Seems like a worthwhile risk to me. If they don't let you bring the baked goods into the country (past Customs), imagine what a hero you will be if you pass out baked goods to all the tired, hungry travelers!
:)

Thanks for the excellent ideas, especially the one for sharing :) I had a sandwich is my purse which I ate on the plane. The dog would not quit because he knew there had been food in my purse. The goodies in my luggage, though, were double wrapped, sealed in disposable aluminum cake pans and wrapped again so they didn't trigger the dog's interest. I'm going to try that again :)

The dogs sniffed my baked goods.....the customs lady found them and asked what they were....she asked if there were cheese or eggs....I said no...(sorry for the white lie) and she gave them back to me and told the dog handler that they were vegetarian...complete with rolled eyes...I was happy...

My suggestion about packaging wasn't to fool the dogs. You are not going to be able to do that with any amount of wrap or whatever. It was to make it look more like a commercial product, which seems to get you more of a pass.

Depends on when you hit the button---if you 'land on' red--then they take your cookies............

mexicotravelusacustoms_thumb.jpg

My wife makes chocolate chip cookies for almost every trip to bring down for the condo and for friends and have never had any issues. We put them in zip locks and sometimes if we have room in plastic containers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom