Taking a Service Dog to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At some point (number of people) you may be better off using a private service to get between the Cancun airport and Playa del Carmen (ferry area). Two suggestions for a start
That's assuming the service dog will be allowed on the ferry as anything but cargo. Transporting the dog to PDC in a taxi and then on the ferry sounds like a real nightmare. Better to fly direct to COZ if possible. After all, there is the dog's comfort to think about as well. Sure, this guy needs his service dog, but how much should the poor animal endure in the course of doing its job? What if it gets seasick on ferry rides?

The ferry issue obviously needs more info. If the canine family member is not allowed with the passengers, would that mean that you have to have a crate just for the ferry?

If I were in charge the dog would go with the passenger.

Just FYI, I once had to travel from CZM to the CUN airport with TWO labrador retrievers........(the airline had the travel kennels waiting at the airport for me). ZERO problem taking them on the ferry with the only stipulation being that we all three had to sit outside. No big deal except making sure they didn't jump overboard to "fetch" something........hahha. Took a $40 cab ride to the airport with no issues. But this is a service dog, so I would imagine even fewer issues.......and she may even be allowed on the bus, but I know nothing about that part......you'd think if a service dog can ride in the plane, it would be allowed on the bus, no?

Just FYI, I once had to travel from CZM to the CUN airport with TWO labrador retrievers........(the airline had the travel kennels waiting at the airport for me). ZERO problem taking them on the ferry with the only stipulation being that we all three had to sit outside. No big deal except making sure they didn't jump overboard to "fetch" something........hahha. Took a $40 cab ride to the airport with no issues. But this is a service dog, so I would imagine even fewer issues.......and she may even be allowed on the bus, but I know nothing about that part......you'd think if a service dog can ride in the plane, it would be allowed on the bus, no?
No? After all, American laws govern what American-flagged carriers and planes that fly to America are required to do, i.e. accept service dogs in the cabin. But American laws don't govern Mexican buses.

On the other hand, Mexicans routinely bring their chickens on the bus, so what harm could a dog cause? Maybe second-class bus would be the way to go.

No second class bus from the airport to PDC. As I mentioned before, contact a private transportation service and inquire about the dog and avoid the bus. IT MIGHT cost a bit more...depends on number of people. But convenience has value too.

We have used the same private van the Chief has used to get to Playa from CUN. Great service, if anyone needs the name of the company I can look back if Chief does not chime in. They were great with email and could answer the dog question. The cost for the 2 of us was the same or within a few dollars of what Chief pays for his group. We negotiated a a few beers into the deal and paid $100 RT. We only flew to Cancun that one time. The price difference was $250 each that trip. It just about paid for the condo we rented. We might do it again for that much savings.
I have seen quite a few dogs on the Delta NYC-ATL-CZM flights over the years. Nobody ever seemed to have any trouble getting them thru the airport.

As stated, the ferries allow animals on the upper/outside deck at no extra charge.

ADO bus' answer to FAQ may a passenger take a pet on the bus is such that I recommend a taxi/private service to Playa: Yes, as long as the trip is no longer than 8 hours and your pet is a pet that must carry sedated in a suitable carrier to travel in the trunk of the bus and at your own risk. Onboard Guide dogs may only travel at no extra cost.

On the other hand, Mexicans routinely bring their chickens on the bus, so what harm could a dog cause? Maybe second-class bus would be the way to go.

The chicken might be able to come up with a few examples of the harm a dog could cause...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Post's have been removed.

Keep this one on-topic people...

Back
Top Bottom