Taking a non certified salty as a buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no opinion as to whether you should dive with him or not (my long range internet buddy assessment skills are not up to snuff I'm afraid) but as some others have noted; the fact that he has done 100's of dives, all the time, but can't access air makes me raise my eyebrow.

Oh nope, forget about that. It's just the way I look.

I might or might not dive with him, depending on if I liked him and if my BS detector was going off.

No way I would fill his tanks.

Then again, I don't think I have ever had a shop ask me for my C-Card to fill my air. Of course, I mostly get filled at three places, the shop I got my OW cert at, the shop I got a bunch more of my certs at and the quarry (where you have to show your c-card just to get in). But there have been other places, not a one of them has asked.

If I was so afraid of lawyers and law suits as some of you are I would stay in my house with the door locked 24/7.

lol---try practicing medicine for a while & you'll see where I'm coming from........It Ain't pretty, too many damn lawyers in this world----& that's a fact.....

How bout dem Tigers---they look pathetic so far......Maybe we can get dem behind the hedges Saturday........

IMO, the best advice given so far has been from two posts advising him to make a deal, and get certified.
I am not an instructor, but if I was, and was approached by a person that had all of the skills and experience, but didn't have the card, I am sure I would cut a deal that satisfied everyone.

I'd dive w/ him (assuming his experience is "real") before I would a "card collector" w/ little real experience.

For a number of reasons, he should get certified - the basic course is not really expensive - LDS' here often offer the course for +/- $350.

I'd dive with him. I would not get air for him. I'm not opening myself up to the moral responsibility (how would I feel about myself if something happened) or the possible legal liability.

Tell him to take a course to get a c-card so he can get his own air. Saying he can't justify the expense is crap in my mind. He can't justify the expense as long as someone else will bend the rules for him. As soon as that is taken away, the expense will suddenly not mean as much to him... I know people with Cell Phone bills larger than the average cost of an OW class these days...

You make a really good point, I Dive - especially your cell phone bill example (I know I've gotten bills much high than $350 in the past).

There is almost ALWAYS time and money for the vast majority of things we want to do and consider important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom