Taking a non certified salty as a buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, but I'd suggest he consider re-adjusting his priorities...unless of course he really doesn't find the problem of getting air to be that much of a pita...

If I was so afraid of lawyers and law suits as some of you are I would stay in my house with the door locked 24/7.

If I was so afraid of lawyers and law suits as some of you are I would stay in my house with the door locked 24/7.

I was going to say, I'm pretty sure, given the right divers, if you so much as farted underwater you'd get sued or at a minimum flamed on scubaboard for destroying the delicate ecosystem that is the ocean. God forbid you poke a puffer fish....

and the real question should be-why wouldn't you dive with him?

If, as you say, he is at least as competent as you are then what exactly is the issue? If he isn't safe to dive with then neither are you. Maybe you should retake the entry level course together.

and the real question should be-why wouldn't you dive with him?

If, as you say, he is at least as competent as you are then what exactly is the issue? If he isn't safe to dive with then neither are you. Maybe you should retake the entry level course together.

I think everyone should retake OW. Twice.

If you know he has the experience and knows what he is doing then go for it. I dive with a guy that has never taken a class before in his life but he is a very good diver. He bought the books online and "taught himself". He did this not because he is cheap but bc he is a commercial fisherman and doesn't have the time to take a class. He needed to be able to dive on his boat. I mean lets be honest OW cert. isn't rocket science. I think now a days too much is placed on what your cert. level is and not your experience. I watched a so called DM a few months ago unable to set his gear up correctly. He had only been diving 6 months and 60 dives.

If you know he has the experience and knows what he is doing then go for it. I dive with a guy that has never taken a class before in his life but he is a very good diver. He bought the books online and "taught himself". He did this not because he is cheap but bc he is a commercial fisherman and doesn't have the time to take a class. He needed to be able to dive on his boat. I mean lets be honest OW cert. isn't rocket science. I think now a days too much is placed on what your cert. level is and not your experience. I watched a so called DM a few months ago unable to set his gear up correctly. He had only been diving 6 months and 60 dives.

He should still get his cert, otherwise I'll complain.

When I read this yesterday, I thought "Sure, I'd dive with him!". Now I'm not so sure...

If he has made all those dives over all those years, how come he doesn't have a source for air. Do you mean to tell me that for every dive he ever made. his buddy supplied the air? For all those dives over all those years?

Something just doesn't compute.

I might do as others have suggested and just buy him an OW class. Then go diving...

Richard

Sounds fishy to me.

Assuming he has his own gear, he can fork out $$$$ for dive gear but won't spring for an OW class?

There is a family member of mine ... has 100's of dives
he said that Id have to get his air as he isnt certified.
He says he cant justify the expense.
Would you take him?

I'm assuming he is just miserly and not really poor.

I'm not a fan of people who are so cheap in that they have no problem putting the financial onus on others in order to spend time with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom