Take our wetsuit survey and enter drawing for a Fourth Element wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two front zip suits, one a shorty farmer john, the other a step in "jacket" suit. I have no problem with either of these, but I still prefer my back zip suits to front zip. If there's a problem zipping the back zipper, the leash for the zipper is too short. Add some length to your leash and you shouldn't have any issues.

For those that asked, yes surfing with a front zipper sucks royally.

Here is my gripe with wet suits. We all have biological needs. Frankly I feel rather embarrassed having to walk to end of the boat on a ship with 30 some people (mostly men with similar concerns) to relieve myself. I do not need a 3 or a 5 mil suit, I do not need a pee valve. I do not need a dive skin because I find material quite annoying.. All I am looking for is a replacement for my 1 mil akona wetsuit that will allow me to go by having a cough cough strategically placed zipper and or velcro thingie so I could go in the water when nobody else is watching. I have spent more than 15 months looking for such wetsuit (and trust me I prefer thickness of 1 mil because it gives me just that much more anti-sting protection as I am being josseled around while trying to video tape stuff). I usually dive in 76-89 degree water and dont necessarily require warmness.. just protection. I have thought about taking my suit to a seamstress but then it started ripping in places so now I am really looking forward to a replacement. Ideally I would like to see your company sell such wetsuits.

yarik83, why not just pee in the suit like most other people do? Personally, I think that's a revolting habit, but it's quite effective.

When I got certified my instructor told me that there are 2 kinds of divers. Ones that pee in their suits and ones that lie about it. To this day I have not yet peed in my suit but if I really really really had to go I would not hesitate to do so. I usually drink 1 cup of coffee and grab a light breakfast at 6am. Boat leaves dock around 8 and on the way to dive site I take a few sips of water. After an hour dive I usually mosey over to back of the boat and do my business and then drink rest of the bottle. I dont have to go for another couple of hours after that so I use restrooms at the dock. But that whole concept is just... I mean we are all people and I have been very fortunate dive with people that respect your privacy and that of female scuba divers. You would think that someone would come up with a thingie like they have for dry suits. Most of us southerners dive in year round warmer waters so its not like we have to have a warm suit with a bladder system.

I duno.. I think I am going to take initiative and purchase a new better fitting 1 mil wetsuit and send it off to local seamstress for some adjustment if you know what I mean.

yarik, I'd agree. I have never and will never pee in a suit if I can control it. Have you looked into some custom suits? I hear they aren't that much more expensive than off-the-rack, though I've never looked into them myself.

I have looked into this and it looks like any custom type suits will cost quite a bit. I think that a "good" price for a 1 mil suit with a pee hole should not cost more than 150. Right now I cant seem to find a website that makes custom suits for less than 3 times that ammount.

I did speak with my local seamstress and she advised sewing a reinforced patch of water resistant material arond the area and that should prevent any distortion to the suit once its cut. She advised a velcro or plastic zipper pocket that will not rust. Idea is to turn away, undo the pocket and get back to diving before anyone notices anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom