Tacoma DIVE/Travel Expo Treasure Hunt was not fair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say I am very disappointed also, I got a backpack and a few other things from DAN..not a big problem, but then I found out that I had to contact DAN and wait 5-7 weeks to get my prize. Im not claiming it cause by time I get it I will be in the middle east defending all of out freedom to dive. My dive partner on the otherhand was very disappointed, He got a $200 gift certificate to Backscatter, but inorder to redeem his prize, he would have to spend around $2000 just to get a housing for his camera and then additional $1000+ for the lens housing and globe. All in all it was a blast diving, any day diving is better than sitting at home. Cant wait to get back and do some more diving.

..........she had given her extra golf ball to the kid who won the trip to the Phillipines -

That kid was ecstatic, and it was cool to see how happy he was.........I offered to trade him prizes but he declined. :wink:

Yesterday my DM said that he's received several angry emails with claims that Rick gave the gifts as payback to his friends which seems unbelievable.

Believe this, I had never met the man before Saturday. :no It was pretty apparent that he was under pressure to deliver the goods, and it wasn't sorted out yet. If folks could have waited, perhaps he could have put together a better system. Anyway, Rick did a tremendous service to the local dive community, and it will only get better. Lets hope there are some lessons learned, and improvements will be made for future events. Heres an idea, how about this.....if you were disappointed with the results of this years treasure hunt, volunteer for next year, and improve the process! :lurk_2:

Humans ... you could stand in the middle of the street and give away money, and there will always be those who can only complain that you're blocking traffic ... :shakehead:

However disappointed anyone might be with their free snorkel, it was obvious that Rick and those who DID volunteer to help out put tremendous effort into bringing this Expo to the Puget Sound area, and in the process did the whole diving community here a tremendous service.

This show did more to put PNW diving on the map than anything I've seen since I've been diving. I think the appropriate response would be ...

"Thanks Rick ... what can I do to help make next year's show even better?"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I, like most Expo exhibitors I would imagine, received an email from the OP late last night. The message was nearly identical - with a closing statement "It is very difficult to gain consumer loyalty but so very easy to errode it by supporting corrupt and unfair practices."

It seems to me that there's a bit of an agenda here - I'm not one to post private email communications in a public forum, but this warrants a statement from a company that enthusiastically supports Rick and the show - so, here's what I had to say...

XXX,

What are you hoping to gain? What is it that I can say to you that will make you feel better? There hasn't been a dive show in the SF bay area (our neighborhood) in more than 15 years because no one is interested in taking on the burden. The Dive Expo is a great event for both divers and the dive industry - there are far more positives than the "corrupt and unfair practices" you detail below. I would imagine, that due to those positive benefits, our companies will continue to support it. I suppose that I could be a bit more sensitive, perhaps take your side and gain you as a life-long customer - but I am afraid that I can't do it. I frequent scubaboard and came across your post last night - and revisted again this morning before responding to your email. The follow up posts are all in support of Rick and the show - the only "angry" post that I can find on the board is yours. I am sure that a whole lot of things will be done differently next year - and the show will get better and better.

Best regards,

Doug Krause

Heres an idea, how about this.....if you were disappointed with the results of this years treasure hunt, volunteer for next year, and improve the process! :lurk_2:

That's a fantastic idea. While I didn't do the treasure hunt, I did enjoy the the Expo quite a bit and I hope they do it again next year.

I was one of those early names and when i went back to claim my prize i found out that the people had received many of the actual prizes that same day. They just wouldn't of had the time time do an appropriate golf ball raffle in say three hours and then organize and prep for easy distribution

First, I want to thank Rick for putting together a great Expo. Job well done!!!
I think he is working hard to enhance the sport in our area.
With that said, I think there are many things that need improvement or change for this expo to continue successfully. I am going to start a thread here, that people should use to offer helpful suggestions that will enhance the Expo.
So.... If you think Rick is not doing a good job, you can continue to whine about it or you can put your money where your mouth is, and offer up something helpful.

My first suggestion is to do away with the treasure hunt. Like it or not, it is not safe for the divers participating. Instead, charge the full $10 at the door each day and give away hourly door prizes (must be present to win). or do random drawings throughout the day. It will keep people at the show not at the beach.

Second suggestion:
when giving door prizes, award the vendors donated door prize at the vendor's booth.

Third Suggestion:
Market the Expo more to non-divers. The Expo is to enhance and grow our sport, let's recruit new people.

Please share your ideas also.

Can I suggest we move this to a new thread T.E.D.?

Food! More and much faster food....

Jack

OMG!!!!!!!!! What the hell do you expect??? Did you get a chance to dive and find $1000. in a chest???? A chance???? So you got a snorkel. You COULDA found a thousand bucks....but im sure that was rigged too. Somehow he knew where you would look. 125 divers.....hmmm...there were 147 divers, and before they got to my name, which starts with a G, they gave away a ton of cool prizes. Ok, so I got a backpack, just like the 2 I already have..so what. The people behind me got a camera, and a trip to another. And yes...alot of people got snorkels. Did you think there would be like 147 trips to the caribbean???? OMG> ..a hint for you...dont play powerball, you will really be pissed. ITs rigged too.
Myself, I had a great time, got a prize I dont need, but I will give it to my DM in Mexico next year, and he will love it. Rick did a fantastic job. Sure it needs to be improved, Rick would be the first to tell you that, and Im sure he is working on it. But whining and crying about it will certainly make him wonder why the heck he does it AT ALL. I for one cannot believe all Rick and his team went thru to set up this event, and appreciate all of it. Cant wait for next year, even if all I get is a snorkel and a good time. Worth the $35 bucks every time.
My advice...Grow the hell up, or go find something else to do.

Believe this, I had never met the man before Saturday. :no It was pretty apparent that he was under pressure to deliver the goods, and it wasn't sorted out yet. If folks could have waited, perhaps he could%2

Attachments

• expo.jpg
    expo.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 48
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom