Taca Airlines WARNING!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my1ocean

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just got back last Sunday from a trip to Roatan and thought I should post my experience with Taca airlines for anyone planning a trip to Central America.
First, I must admit I was gambling by flying into an area of tropical activity during hurricane season. But, I live in Key Largo and tropical activity is a way of life. My group flew in Sunday, 16 Oct, and knew it would be windy. We were able to dive Monday on the south side of the island. However, through the course of the day, the tropical disturbance became tropical storm Wilma. The resort owners and managers were watching the development and considering evacuation. Late Tuesday morning proved to be to late, though. Taca airlines had pulled there planes out without warning and closed the doors. There was no one to talk to or call to get off the island. Luckily, Wilma only brushed Roatan but that was enough to abate all diving. And, unfortunately, Anthony's Key was flooded, forcing our evacuation to another part of the island. Thursday was very windy and understadably unflyable. Friday was passable. Strong breezes, but planes have flown in much worse. Taca airlines offered to fly our group to Houston on Saturday or honor our origional departure on Sunday to Miami. Houston, did me no good as I would have to purchase a ticket from there to Miami. Everyone else had connecting flights from Miami as well. Weather predictions showed Wilma passing over Miami late Sunday evening/ early Monday morning so there was definitely time to get in and on our way before weather hindered travel. Sunday arrived with all eager to depart and get home. Taca's plane arrived on time and we were ordered to our gates for boarding. Then an announcement came for an hour delay for refueling. an hour later the flight was canceled due to technical dificulties. We were instructed to go to the ticket counter for travel options. Taca offered to fly everyone to San Pedro Sula, the capital of Honduras, on Monday and then to Houston. Or we could wait a week for their next flight to Miami. They also stated that Miami airport would be closing at 3pm local time due to Wilma's predicted arrival Monday morning. (Anyone who is familiar with Miami airport knows they fly until the last minute). At this point, several of us were under the gun for deadlines and the impending Hurricane. If we hadn't CHARTERED an airplane from the ever so helpfull American Airlines desk, I would still be in Houston, friday 28 October. Taca airlines has made to effort for finnancial restotution for the chartered flight. They have not addmited to lying about Miami airport's closing (they closed at around 9pm Sunday evening). And have not conceded that they could have gotten another plane to Roatan and then to Miami well before any weather would have been a factor.

I am intimately familiar with why Taca stands for Take A Chance Airlines.

By the way, AKR's staff was incredibly accomodating, professional and friendly. Julio, Samir, and Julio are incredibly nice. Thanks for your hard work!

You'll never catch me flying Taca again after the fiasco with my luggage on our Belize trip 3 years ago. I never got an apology, a 'what can we do for you?' or even a 'get lost' from them after several attempts for restitution. By the way, I got my luggage on the day we left San Pedro.
Pam

I am sorry to hear about your troubles, on Roatan, with with Taca, during the Wilma hurricane. I wish there were more flight carrier choices to Roatan but such is life and circumstances. Please note that San Pedro Sula is not the capital of Honduras (Tegucigalpa) but it is possibly their largest city and an American Airlines destination. Maybe someday soon, they will expand coverage to Roatan. I am interested in staying at Anthony's Key Resort, next year. Just how badly damaged was it by that storm?

I've heard the horror stories, but our trip to Roatan on TACA was uneventful, the food some of the best I've ever had on a commercial flight, the top shelf liquor flowed with no stinginess, and the flight attendants were easy on the eyes and super attentive. On-time arrival to boot...

Now, my last flight on Southworst...well, it was a real peach. Four hour delay, lost luggage, filthy cabin, and lousy crew attitudes all around...

You pays yer money and takes yer chances...

Ditto Cayman Airways.....they couldn't care less for you.

Well... I certainly feel sorry for you and your situation. However...

1) This really sounds like a whine & cheese to me.

2) I don't know if you should blanketly file a WARNING about TACA. I fly over 25,000 flight miles a year, and things like this happen... You're probably better off that you weren't in Florida for Wilma, because it really sucks down here right now... No power, mail, banks, gas, or water for a few days... I look outside of my apartment window right now, and see a DARK ft. Lauderdale...

If a plane is grounded for "mechanical problems" isn't that to YOUR benefit? It may not seem like it at the time, but I'm sure the fact that you're alive, makes it worth it? Right?

I had one flight this year ABORT on take-off, and then return to the gate. I was ultimately delayed 8 HOURS. UNITED couldn't get another PLANE? In DENVER? I said at the time?

At least TACA tried to help you out, even though it didn't seem convenient for you, they made some kind of effort? I don't know if domestic carriers would have done the same thing.

I hope I don't sound mean or angry, but I would say that not ending up in Florida for Wilma isn't a bad thing at all. This week has been very tiring for a lot of us here, and you should be thankful that things actually worked out for you with limited hassle.

Friday was passable. Strong breezes, but planes have flown in much worse. Taca airlines offered to fly our group to Houston on Saturday or honor our origional departure on Sunday to Miami. Houston, did me no good as I would have to purchase a ticket from there to Miami. Everyone else had connecting flights from Miami as well. Weather predictions showed Wilma passing over Miami late Sunday evening/ early Monday morning so there was definitely time to get in and on our way before weather hindered travel. Sunday arrived with all eager to depart and get home. Taca's plane arrived on time and we were ordered to our gates for boarding. Then an announcement came for an hour delay for refueling. an hour later the flight was canceled due to technical dificulties. We were instructed to go to the ticket counter for travel options. Taca offered to fly everyone to San Pedro Sula, the capital of Honduras, on Monday and then to Houston. Or we could wait a week for their next flight to Miami. They also stated that Miami airport would be closing at 3pm local time due to Wilma's predicted arrival Monday morning. (Anyone who is familiar with Miami airport knows they fly until the last minute). At this point, several of us were under the gun for deadlines and the impending Hurricane. If we hadn't CHARTERED an airplane from the ever so helpfull American Airlines desk, I would still be in Houston, friday 28 October.
One of the big challenges for Roatan is the lack of airpor support. As much money as we pump in there, one might think that the nation would spend a little of it to upgrade the airport terminal and tower.

Let's see, on Saturday, Wilma was so big and strong as to cover all of the northern Caribbean. I can see why TACA would not want to fly from Roatan to Miami via a great cirlce route, then have a multi-million dollar airplane sitting on the ground with Wilma closing in, all escape routes to their usual airports blocked.

You had an opportunity to pay more for Continental flights via Houston to and from Roatan, with better options in case of storms, and you knew it was hurricane season. You took a chance with a cheaper carrier, in storm season, and got what you paid for.

Your Trip Insurance should help with the extra expenses, but I have a hunch you avoided that expenses, too...? :D

DandyDon:
One of the big challenges for Roatan is the lack of airpor support. As much money as we pump in there, one might think that the nation would spend a little of it to upgrade the airport terminal and tower.

Honduras doesn't make the top 5 most corrupt countries every year for no reason. For a while there, they wouldn't pay the electric bill for the airport. The mainland has good hydro-electric power. Think they could run a cable as Trinidad does to Tobago?

The lights for RTB were provided at net manufacturer cost. Do you think the Govt could figure out where to get the money to put them in? It took 3 years as I recall.

Let's see, on Saturday, Wilma was so big and strong as to cover all of the northern Caribbean. I can see why TACA would not want to fly from Roatan to Miami via a great cirlce route, then have a multi-million dollar airplane sitting on the ground with Wilma closing in, all escape routes to their usual airports blocked.

Therein lies the crux of the biscuit. TACA wants it's hardware at home in Salvador where it has control over gas and maintainence and tie down fees. Remember also, what is accptable minimum for one airline might exceed that of another. It has to do with weather plus a littany of other factors.

B*+<h about TACA all you want, lord knows I have. But to a great extent, they have turned themselves around now that airlines with Standards of Service are there. Thank you Continental and (soon)American, you have altered TACA in ways we (as travellers) never were able.

I fly TACA and enjoy it. Once the cabin doors close, it is usually a delightful experience. It's European service is a nice change. In many many years of flying I have had bags delayed only once. I tag my bags well.

And btw, M1o, TACA means Take a Casket Along... so you got off easy!

Something to keep in mind when visiting a great dive location, for many reasons...
Honduras doesn't make the top 5 most corrupt countries every year for no reason.
:11:

Anthony's Key was flooded. perhaps three feet over the island, but Julio and Samir along with their extremly hard working staff, said they'd be up and running in a couple of weeks.

I agree this should probably be in the whine and cheeze section, but I thought it was worth the warning to anyone planning a trip to CA. TACA was not very helpful in a resolution of a destination or finacial responsibility. For very important reasons I needed to return to the Keys before Wilma hit. The big reason for this post is that TACA representatives lied about airport closings. If they didn't want to fly into weather, they could've just said so.

I've had numerous responses after sharing my story that echo PamDiv's experience. I understand airlines have bad days and S**t happens. But, it sounds like TACA has more than their share of mishaps.

'Nuf whining. I'm done. Take this for what it's worth when you travel.

Other airlines flew in and out of Miami that day and evening. TACA may have improved from the past, but they're still pretty shakey. And as Don metioned, you're taking your chances flying with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom