Table rock shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmrviper

Registered
Reaction score
So me and my buddy just got certified this weekend. We live in Springfield, so i think Table Rock is our closest place to dive. Anyone have an recomendations for shore dives on TR? We dont have a boat and just kinda wanna play around and get more comfortable with our gear and just being in the water. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on your certs. you can get air on the lake at the dam, indian point and at kimberling city marinas. you can find good shore diving at most of the public beaches as well as parking and bathrooms, just remember ALL of the anchors in the lake are mine... will be in the kimberling city area memorial day weekend and have room on the boat, if you want to help me pick up my anchors that is.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the invite. Thats really nice of ya. Unfortunately ill be working all weekend.

Is moonshine beach an ok place to go?

Just did some of my AOW dives tonight at Dewey Short visitors center on the south end of the dam. It's roped off so no boats to worry about, and visibility is probably as good (less bad...) as anywhere. We had from 1-4 feet vis down to about 25 feet, then it gradually opened up to maybe 15-20 feet vis at 70 feet deep. For a bit more of a drive, Beaver Lake usually has much better vis. I am down near Kimberling City and always looking for new dive buddies, pm me if you want to meet for a dive sometime :)

Hey Basscat i have read alot about that Dewey short area. Is it a beach area? Does it gradually get deeper or just kinda drop off? The reason i ask is that we are still pretty new and dont have the confidence to do a 70ft dive. We are getting comfy in 30-40 of water , but to be honest the deep stuff still kinda intimidates me a bit. I know that i dont have to go to 70 ft but i like knowing the bottom is close. Prolly sounds goofy, but im sure my confidence will grow with more dives. Im really loving diving and that seems like the main thing.

Yeah we did our open water dives at Beaver. Nice place.

Thanks for the invite. The diving community seems to be a really friendly group of people. Thats great! Hope we can join you some day.

It's more of a gentle slope farther from the dam. As you get closer to the dam, it gets steeper and more like a wall, but you can stay at whatever depth you are comfortable with. If they have a generator or two going, the sensation of the pressure waves in the water as you near the dam is pretty cool. The entry is pretty easy, have to carry gear down a little slope, but it's pretty "beachy" if you don't mean sandy beach. Lots of variety in diving in a small area, for this area, just don't expect a lot of vis, and remember that once you get past about 25 feet it gets cold fast.
And you aren't goofy at all for being intimidated by depth, especially in murky water. I've only been diving a year, and each dive adds a lot to confidence, knowledge, etc. And start saving money for an ocean dive.... 100' visibility is a whole new world !)

Had a beautiful week at table rock scored 10 anchors totaling 250 lb, yes 250 just checked them all tonight ,no bugs, no rain, no bad wind. vis of the south face of goose island was a masherd 19' at the caben cruser (54') getting better ass you went deeper,water temp was 57 at depth.
boat traffic was heavy Saturday and Sunday, Friday the like was all mine

I enjoy diving dewey short. It's just what Basscat described. The generators become louder the deeper you go (stratifies). It can be an erie and exciting sound/feeling all in one. The vibrations can flow right through your chest. Crazy!

Great info guys. Looks like ill be spending the next 4 days on Bull Shoals. Looking forward to seeing some new things and getting more practice!.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom