Table Rock on 7/2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be diving here the 2 & 3, the third I'm going out with Scuba Sports and on the second I'll be shore diving. Is there anybody around who'd like to buddy up?

Thanks for diving Kevin, had a good time and things seemed to work out well regarding getting my tank O2 cleaned and still be able to do the dives planned on.

By the way, I think I know why I found that egg at 112 feet. I've been told some divers bring a raw egg with them to see if the crush at depth, I wonder if that's the story here or if it just got pitched off.

The dive with Scuba Sports was interesting, I found one of their lead weights and also a fin strap a diver lost in the last couple of days. Funny that I'd find 2 of their items in one day. I also found some kind of jawbone, it was thin about 1/4 inch wide and maybe 10 inches long with lots of teeth on it, small sharp triangle pointed things.

It was a fun day of diving. So thanks to you I managed to enjoy a couple of good days and I never did dive the wetsuit after that first day. It's funny, but everybody on the boat was saying how cold they were after the first dive, and they were the sames ones making observations about the drysuit and being hot out... Later they were considering it, kind of funny.

The HP80 tank I dove was nice, it had a full fill so I was a good match to my buddy Monday morning, the trim was fine as well. The only problem was I thought I didn't have a tank on it was so small, hard to suit up as well because you have to pick the BP/W up and put it on because it's way low in comparison to my normal steel tanks. However I did like that baby tank.

Sounds like you enjoyed the dives. Did you go out with Louis or one of his employees from Scuba Sports?

Just curious, what did they charge you for a dive. I was quoted $60 per person to go out on their boat. We got a bit better deal in Springfield, but then again, both of us got lucky and got bonus tanks for dives as the owner of Aqua F/X was not feeling up to par for dives (and he drove!!).

Just FYI, it's that season, so if we get info on locations for Scuba Sports (both locations) and their dive boat, I'm sure Louis would appreciate the support. He has a VERY well stocked dive shop (unlike State Park Marina YUCK!). With that in mind, if you have a posting on local dive sites on the good ol' sticky, please post locations of quality marinas or dive shops you've found in those areas. It's very "need to know" informaiton for air fills, emergencies and such.

I went out with Monty. He tended to the other divers who needed attention while I and my Buddy dove by ourselves. Monty just counted us once we got in the water and out of the water and then that was it.

The $60 is right, it includes 2 tanks for the dives and if you dive Nitrox you don't pay the standard $10 fill charge, at least I didn't. I'm not sure if that was due to the O2 cleaning or diving on the boat, or both...

At any rate, SS is a good place to dive with and treats you fairly. State Park Marina is also ok, higher priced but they'll be there on the holidays that SS's is off on. Of course the best thing is to shore dive, but some sites do require a boat to get to and that's where SS comes in handy.

As you said, they also carry a pretty good amount of scuba gear so if you forget or lose something chances are they'll have it. My buddy got a knife and hood after losing his, something about monofilament in the lake bothered him...

I collect fish lures so I don't mind it so much as long as I can follow it to the end and find a fish lure, you know the ones with fish shapes and not the generic worms you see so much of.

Cummings66, did you need a hood when you dove at tablerock??? I am heading down there this weekend. Not sure if I am going to be able to dive or not though. My dive buddy (wife) is all stuffy and can't seem to kick it. Thanks for the info....

Phil

My last set of dives w/ Dwayne didn't need a hood, but those were shore dives limited to 50 ft or less.

If you plan to dive beyond 50ft (more like 60ft), you may want one as a convenience item. It all depends on how prone to cold you are. Water temps around 50ft were about 65 degrees + or - a few depending on how much sun there is.

For dives 40ft and above, I was comfortable in a 3/2 mil tropical full wetsuit w/ or w/o gloves.

Cool, thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated

Well, I had a pretty good time at Tablerock over the holiday. Turns out there is a dive shop at the Indian point marina, about 100 yards from my campsite. Surface vis was around 20 ft in all parts of the like I visited.

My dive partner didn't bring his wetsuit, so I dove without mine. This kept us above the thermal-cline. So we never dove the cabin cruiser, but we circumnavigated the island by it. I would have solo dived the zebulon, but the dive shop said the vis on it was only about 5 feet, so I scrubbed that dive.
The couple across from us at the campsite were also divers and tipped me to another wreck. It's off the Indian point marina. Has a small, orange float tied off to the bow. It's keel is at 28 feet and just touching the thermal.

It's great for UW navigation! From the end of the 2nd dock (green roof), take a bearing of 210 degrees, drop down to about 23 foot and follow your compass. It's about 100 yards out.

I was starting to worry if I had missed it (I'm horrible at UW distances) when I saw the bow and the float-line appear infront of me. There is a loop in the float line to clip off your flag to while diving the site. LOTS of fish on the wreck. Perch swimming all around it, big bass inside the cabin, catfish underneath. Watch out for the perch, they are used to being fed. I had my ears nipped several times. Didn't hurt, but it was a shock. Lots of fishing lures laying about the bottom of the wreck, and a few inside too.

Not much to see inside the cabin. The toilet is still there for photo ops, and a couple empty cabinets. Overall, it's a nice clean wreck, suitable for any level of diver. Be sure and use a flag! This is located inside the marina breakwater, so boats are always nearby.

When your done looking around, take a reverse heading (30 degrees) and swim until it looks dark (assuming a nice, sunny day). Stop, look up and ascend. You will be at the end of the dock if you did it right.

I really would have liked to dive the black forrest and the zeb (the wreck is not REALLY the zeb, but that's another story). But that will have to wait until next time. The family loved the lake, and Branson, so we will be back.

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom