T.L. turning over and over...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.P.H.

Contributor
Reaction score
well it was going to happen but I figured it would be a little later before it started.Some of ya have been out before me ,but I went out early sat. and well, its wet and low but still close to home.Viz is going to be a chore to find I`m afraid till next year, ( 5 ft @ most) but it is a good time to practice stealth diving....where did that mud bank come from!...Well break out the hotdogs and ski masks,its Holloween season....how about a party at the puddle??Happy wet time ya`ll! :dazzler1:

We were there Sunday. The water level is the lowest I've seen it all year. the viz was actually a bit better than a couple weeks ago but only because it was more smokey than cloudy...make sense?

There's only on theremocline now at 30ft so the turn over is starting. I figure I've only got 3-4 weeks left for no-wetsuit diving. Maybe by then I'll talk myself into a wetsuit...maybe not!

Steve....we're ready for a bonfire evening with a cool breeze blowing. Won't be long! I'd like to see all the Southern Swampers get together but I've lost hope of that happening anytime soon, too many have just disappeared on us! Was it something we said? LOL!

See ya soon, Phin Bud :10:

Great. The central Texas lakes can't be too far behind. I give them a month, tops.

Your mention of "turnover" reminded me of that beautiful post I wrote back in January... oh so pretty. Here, I'll link it here so folks can view my brilliance, AGAIN.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t46284-.html

Somebody pop my head.

Well...I don't care what you call it, Spring Bloom or whatever. Spring Bloom makes me think of algae growth and since we have that in consistant levels all year, it doesn't describe what the water temps do. So to me it'll always be the spring/fall turn over. All I DO know is our lakes don't freeze but there is a definate change over of the water temps, warm to cold/top to bottom, and it happens twice a year. It'a always preceeded by the first thermocline getting lower just before the turn.

Well I wanted to come Sunday but my wifes friend had birthday gathering. Hopefully this Sunday if nothing else comes up.

Went on NCL cruise that leaves from Port of Houston last week. Did two dives in Cozumel and two in Roatan(Pats Place and Valley of Kings). Vis in Roatan not too hot. Murky down about ten feet. Strong current on wall on second dive. Dove with Subway Watersports. They handle a lot of cruise ship divers. Cheap trip(cruise was 962 for two) but this is not way to go diving. Too much hauling of gear for a few dives. Had a good time though.

Going to Rio De Janeiro over Christmas. havent seen in laws in several years. Plan on diving in Rio and Angra Dos Reis(south of Rio). Two tank dives down there are not expensive. In Rio its about $40 and Angra about $30(depending on exchange rate of Brazilian Real). Should be interesting

Dee, you and T.P.H. are both right on the money; what's being described at Twin Lakes smacks suspiciously of our local autumnal lake turnover. Can't be certain without time series recordings of air and surface water temps over the last 3-4 months, and historical year-round temperatures for Twin Lakes. I am a BIT puzzled, as air temps in College Station haven't gone down much lately, and we're more climatologically variable than the coastal plain. To get true fall turnover the surface waters must cool appreciably... that takes time in large, deep lakes. Twin Lakes goes down to 50 feet, right?

There can also be wind-induced (polymictic) mixing stirring things up, but you'd need a great deal of recent wind activity to make a dent in a lake that deep. Maybe those hurricane fringes did something down there. Friggin' hurricanes...

Most Texas lakes don't get pronounced algal blooms this time of year, at least enough to make much dent in underwater visibility. Zooplankton populations start crashing in the summertime, which'll facilitate a slight upwards blip in the phytoplankters. This doesn't last long, as you get a secondary zooplankton pulse to compensate.

Twin Lakes is susceptible to massive nutrient inputs via runoff. If there was the usual late summer dry spell, and then some episodic rainfall events later, all those pent-up agricultural, municipal, and industrial nutrients are gonna do some serious hurt to T.L.. That'll cause the mother of all algal blooms, and deliver piles of fine sediments to boot.

Hmmm... I like this last scenario the best now. If you Twin Lakes groupies want to run a little survey for me, record the air and surface water temps. the next few times you go down there, and post 'em to this thread. There isn't an online record is there, like at Lake Travis?

archman:
There can also be wind-induced (polymictic) mixing stirring things up, but you'd need a great deal of recent wind activity to make a dent in a lake that deep. Maybe those hurricane fringes did something down there. Friggin' hurricanes...

Our daytime temps haven't dropped a whole lot but our nightime temps have. True, it's only into the mid to low 70's but it's been consistant for about a month or so. Water temps have been dropping a couple of degrees every week or so for the last month.

But Twin Lakes does get alot of wind action. It's really strange to see whitecaps across the lake!

Twin Lakes is susceptible to massive nutrient inputs via runoff. If there was the usual late summer dry spell, and then some episodic rainfall events later, all those pent-up agricultural, municipal, and industrial nutrients are gonna do some serious hurt to T.L.. That'll cause the mother of all algal blooms, and deliver piles of fine sediments to boot.

I don't think it gets much runoff, more like runout! There's a canal along the south side behind the RR track that supplies farm fields. The RR track prevents any runoff from there but we've noticed a HUGE drop in watrer level during the last months drought, something like 6ft. Very noticeable from week to week. Since the lake is spring fed, I suspect the farmers are pumping irrigation water from the water table, thus effecting the water level in the lake. We definately have those piles of fine sediment in all 4 corners of the lake that just can't be totally put off to roto-tiller divers around the edges of the lake. The bottom, especially around the edges, is powder fine silt. Across the middle and on the bottom you'll see solid clay, very slick when you touch it.

Hmmm... I like this last scenario the best now. If you Twin Lakes groupies want to run a little survey for me, record the air and surface water temps. the next few times you go down there, and post 'em to this thread. There isn't an online record is there, like at Lake Travis?

No, no online water info. I can give you water temps from my logbook for the whole summer but not accurate air temps. We've only got about 3-4 weeks of warm-ish water left then only the die-hard drysuiters will be out there during the winter. It warms up to the low 70's again about the end of March.

Sounds like it's almost time to break out the semi-dry. Tell Beast to be ready to touch the bottom in January! LOL!

I'm thinkin' to head out there on Sunday. Got plans for Saturday afternoon, and next weekend we're headed out of town, and the weekend after that.....dare I say it........I'm headed to Bonaire for a week!

I guess I'll bring the 3mm on Sunday, just in case.

Jester:
Sounds like it's almost time to break out the semi-dry. Tell Beast to be ready to touch the bottom in January! LOL!

I'm thinkin' to head out there on Sunday. Got plans for Saturday afternoon, and next weekend we're headed out of town, and the weekend after that.....dare I say it........I'm headed to Bonaire for a week!

I guess I'll bring the 3mm on Sunday, just in case.

So did you forgrt about the BBQ? We'll be at the Scuba Flea Market all day Sat. I've got a big Dee-Rag order to get done and deliver at DEMA so I'll be sewing all day Sunday. But Beast will probably be ready.

Bonaire...again! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom