T&C Trip Next Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure you will really enjoy it. Have a good trip. I'm jealous sitting here with all this white crap around. I wish I was headed back to T&C!

maxroc:
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated. Seems like they're both quality operations. Think I'll stick with CA for this trip. I'll be sure to let you know how things go. Thanks again.
I have had very good experiences with Wayne and Ocean Vibes over the last five years. If Fifi is booked or does not work out, I would give him a chance. www.oceanvibes.com. Small outfit. Small groups. Great personalty and very knowledgable about the island and dive sites. It helps that he is a native!

Peace.

Tony

Just got back from the trip. Man, what a good time.

T&C is now my favorite Caribbean island, and I've been to a bunch. We got lucky with the weather- blue skies and sunshine the whole time.

Even with all the development going on, Grace Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. Wasn't blown away by the Ocean Club, but I scouted a few spots for the next time, which I hope is very soon.

Most importantly- The Diving! The absolute best of my limited experience. I'm sure the other operators folks have mentioned are great, but Fifi and CA really impressed me. Loved the boat, the staff, everything.

We dove with Oli the whole time and he was great. We were in West Caicos the whole time. We hit Elephant Ear, The Driveway, Old Anchor and Devil's Horn. All amazing sites.

Old Anchor was my absolute favorite. No sooner did we descend than a big old reef shark came tooling by to check us out. Before long we were checking out some huge lobsters, a big *** stingray and a really cool sea turtle just lounging under some corral, all in one dive. Swimming through the little corral passage right before the anchor itself is sweet and exiting right out over the wall is a trip. You could almost get vertigo if you were afraid of heights!

Also saw a ton of lobster, some really big grouper and a moray at Devil's Horn later that day.

All in all, really amazing. I would strongly recommend T&C to anyone looking for a dive destination in the Caribbean and stronly recommend Caicos Adventures as an operator.

I can't wait to go back.

They are a great group. If we stay in a rental, The Sands is good, and cheap off season. I believe Fifi has a condo there. What restaurants did you get to and like if I might ask? John

We ate at Coco Bistro and Caicos Cafe and liked them both.

Also ate at the Ocean Club's Gecko Grill, but were unerwhelmed.

For the future, I think we'll stay at the Sands if the trip is all about diving and possibly check out Grace Bay Club or the Palms if we want something a little more luxe.

Hi Maxroc,

can you tell about your experience with the Ocean Club Resort? I am headed there this coming July for a week and would love to hear the good/bad about the place.

Also, I am doing a week on Grand Turk at the Aquahouse. Anyone stay there recently?

2 weeks in T&C, I can hardly wait!

Well, the Ocean Club is a condo style "resort." Really just a bunch of condo style apartments (kitchens, washer/dryer, etc.) with a pool and tennis court. There is a bar/snack bar by the beach and a restaurant/convenience store adjacent. Seemed to be very popular with families traveling with young kids. I was a little disappointed, only because their website and my conversations with them left me with the impression that it was more of a conventional resort. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

The good news is that they are located on an absolutely beautiful strectch of beach. If you're a golfer, you'll be happy to know that there is a really good golf course right across the street.

If you are going primarily to dive and don't care too much about ambience or "1st-class" service, you should be absolutely fine. The rates are reasonable and having your own kitchen can be a great way to save some money.

Personally, I may opt to spend a little more next time to have somewhere a little more stylish to eat and drink after we dive. As I mentioned, The Grace Bay and The Palms seemed great, if pricey.

For more reasonable accomodations on trips geared solely around diving, I think I will go with The Sands next time for one main reason- it is a lot closer to Caicos Adventures' marina, which means less time spent on the bus in the morning and afternoon.

Thanks for the information Maxroc. I am a diver, but my soon-to-be-wife is not. (not yet, anyway!) So I picked Ocean Club for the fitness center, beach, tennis courts and all the other top side stuff. Hopefully, we will enjoy it.

Thanks again for the info.

TCP,

My non-diving wife and myself stayed at Ocean Club last October, and depending on what she wants to do is important. The fitness center was ok, she spent a lot of time on the beach, in the ocean, or in the pool which was fine for her. There is a golf course almost across the street, the tennis court is in good shape, and Club Med is next door, and you can get in to see some of the shows, etc that are going on there.

Thanks Colby. Do you know if there is any good snorkeling in the area? (From shore) We are most likely going to be taking a few snorkel trips but I wasn't sure if there was anything close to shore or the resort that would be suitable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom