T&C Trip Next Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCP:
Thanks Colby. Do you know if there is any good snorkeling in the area? (From shore) We are most likely going to be taking a few snorkel trips but I wasn't sure if there was anything close to shore or the resort that would be suitable.

TCP, There is supposedly very good snorkeling right in front of Coral Gardens resort. Another couple I spoke to there had done some snorkeling and saw tons of fish, nurse sharks, and lobsters. It's about a 5-10 minute drive from Ocean Club, at the western end of Grace Bay (Ocean Club is pretty much the easternmost resort on Grace Bay).

TCP:
Thanks Colby. Do you know if there is any good snorkeling in the area? (From shore) We are most likely going to be taking a few snorkel trips but I wasn't sure if there was anything close to shore or the resort that would be suitable.

TCP,

We never did any snorkeling, although I cruised around the Club Med pier to test my underwater camera housing. My brother and sister-in-law were there in January and did some shore-based snorkeling somewhere, but I don't know exactly where.

colby:
TCP,

We never did any snorkeling, although I cruised around the Club Med pier to test my underwater camera housing. My brother and sister-in-law were there in January and did some shore-based snorkeling somewhere, but I don't know exactly where.

There used to be a self guided marked snorkel tour from the shore in Grace bay! But I didn't notice it the last time I was there about a year ago. Anyone know if it still exists?

I haven't dove in Provo or the Caicos group but I have dove Grand Turk. Great dive sites, great wall. I usually use Blue Water or Oasis. Sea Eye is ok in a pinch as well. I usually stay at the Salt Raker or the Osprey so I can't address the Aquahouse. The Manta House looks good though and the Ladies that run it are top notch.

In Grand Turk you can snorkel right from any beach. There are several lines of minor reef structures parallel to the shore and the wall which is about 400 - 500 yards out from the beach. Up at Bohio you can rent a DPV like I did last week, it was great! However watch the charge as they only last about 45 minutes. I suggest kicking with them to reduce the load on the battery. My dive partner kicked all the way and I did not. Mine made it to the wall, about 50 yards along the wall, then started sputtering. Luckily I was able to use the trigger...wait...trigger...wait method to pulse back to shore (most of the way).

I don't believe I have had a dive there were I didn't see turtles, sharks, grouper, baracuda, you name it. My wife has dove twice there and both times saw sharks.

Just hope its new popularity doesn't kill it. There was a report already of toilet paper waste found on the reefs attributed to the cruise ship.

Mike

laurendell:
TCP, There is supposedly very good snorkeling right in front of Coral Gardens resort. Another couple I spoke to there had done some snorkeling and saw tons of fish, nurse sharks, and lobsters. It's about a 5-10 minute drive from Ocean Club, at the western end of Grace Bay (Ocean Club is pretty much the easternmost resort on Grace Bay).

Agree. I didn't do any snorkeling, but a local friend indcated the some of the best easy access snorkeling was just of the Coral Gardens. Another location is Smith's Reef off of Turtle cove, but I am not sure how far out it is. Both are listed on local maps often found in real estate guides you can pick up when you arrive at the island. Hope this helps. John.

Back
Top Bottom