Systematic use of oxygen analyzers by advanced divers ? [Poll].

Do you personally verify the percentage of oxygen of your dive cylinders ?

• n/a

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • No, and no plans to ever do that.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Have in the past, not anymore.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thinking about doing this eventually.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I verify from time to time.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • I always verify.

Votes: 161 84.3%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 17 8.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love answers like this...

1) CO is a lot more common than you think, especially in the tropics and hot conditions. 2) And I find it hilarious that you'll potentially spend thousands of dollars on gear and trimix training but a $150 O2 analyzer is just a silly convenience.

I'm glad THAT's what you got out of my posts... /rolls eyes

Changed my vote fro "Always" to "Other" I analyze all nitrox cylinders for )2 level. If they are supposed to be air I don't. I suppose that it is possible that someone could fill an air cylinder with something above 36% but believe it unlikely. If I were planning a dive below 130' I'd analyze. Otherwise I think I'll probably survive whatever short time I will be below mod even on a tank of 36% let alone a nitrox tank that was refilled with air or some other such scenario.

Changed my vote fro "Always" to "Other" I analyze all nitrox cylinders for )2 level. If they are supposed to be air I don't. I suppose that it is possible that someone could fill an air cylinder with something above 36% but believe it unlikely. If I were planning a dive below 130' I'd analyze. Otherwise I think I'll probably survive whatever short time I will be below mod even on a tank of 36% let alone a nitrox tank that was refilled with air or some other such scenario.
I guess this is my rationale as well, for my "no" vote. I haven't seen many (really can't recall any) divers analysing air filled tanks at the shop, or recall hearing any talk about analysing what is supposedly Air.

I focused on the word, "personally." Just out of curiosity and not to hijack the thread, but if you are okay with a regular and trusted buddy analyzing your gas for you, could you please hit the "Like" button for a tally?

I focused on the word, "personally." Just out of curiosity and not to hijack the thread, but if you are okay with a regular and trusted buddy analyzing your gas for you, could you please hit the "Like" button for a tally?
I have done this frequently. I am currently thinking of a dive operation my friends and I used in Bali. Before each dive one of us analyzed all the tanks while the others were taking other preparatory steps. It was a division of labor that saved a lot of time. I don't see a problem with it.

I have done this frequently. I am currently thinking of a dive operation my friends and I used in Bali. Before each dive one of us analyzed all the tanks while the others were taking other preparatory steps. It was a division of labor that saved a lot of time. I don't see a problem with it.

Similar division labor - I usually analyze tanks, while others are on to other tasks.

The shop I deal with is 98% air fills. What little nitrox that does happen is done off to the side, in separate well marked tanks. I give the analyzer a better chance at not working right compared to mixing up a nitrox mix with air.

Now in other parts of the country where nitrox is so common that they just bank it, shops that fill it along with air fills. OK, I can see where testing everything is a good idea.

I've done week long live aboards that all they did was pump air. No oxygen in site (except emergency and that was not in scuba tanks and kept isolated). Zero chance of getting a nitrox fill by accident, mostly because you couldn't get it even if you wanted it.

People forget that stuff happens outside there micro-universe. Just because something happens where you are at does not mean it happens in other areas.

You make a interesting point about liveaboards that only pump air. I guess I should change my answer from ”always” to - what, other? Because as strongly as I feel about it, there are two situations I can think of where I would not find it necessary to analyze and re-mark the oxygen content of my tanks.
1. on a liveaboard that just pumps air., after I analyzed the tank the first time. But TBH, although I could logically justify skipping it, I’d probably still analyze / mark each fill, because it’s a part of my routine.
2. On bailout tanks where the regs stay on the tank in between dives and -importantly- don’t leave my care. I’m talking about over the course of a weekend of diving. If the regs come off, I re-analyze. I’ve taken some grief for that but I want to be certain I know what’s in my tank/s.

In my experience, most of the people who are diligent about gas analysis are not ignorant of practices outside of their “micro universe:” rather, it’s the opposite... .they have a broad range of experience in varied environments, conditions and geography. And it is that very experience that influences them.

Many who feel strongly about this subject know someone who died bc of breathing the wrong gas at the wrong depth. I am very grateful that I’ve never been required to assist in the recovery of a friend. But I have had to inform very dear friends of their housemate’s fatality as soon as they arrived in town for vacation. He had an analyzer with him, but chose not to analyze his tanks ybecause “it was an air tank” and “he brought from home so he knew what was in it”. .He had tforgotten that a few weeks prior, he had put O2 in that tank for a big dive. And anyone can make mistake like that... So... I’m going to stack the deck in favor as much as possible by spending just a minute or two verifying.

I've done week long live aboards that all they did was pump air. No oxygen in site (except emergency and that was not in scuba tanks and kept isolated). Zero chance of getting a nitrox fill by accident, mostly because you couldn't get it even if you wanted it.

People forget that stuff happens outside there micro-universe. Just because something happens where you are at does not mean it happens in other areas.

Back
Top Bottom