Systematic use of oxygen analyzers by advanced divers ? [Poll].

Do you personally verify the percentage of oxygen of your dive cylinders ?

• n/a

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • No, and no plans to ever do that.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Have in the past, not anymore.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thinking about doing this eventually.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I verify from time to time.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • I always verify.

Votes: 161 84.3%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 17 8.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be honest, the actual question is a little foolish.
Unless things have significantly gone down hill in Nitrox training. One of the rules of using Nitrox, along with not exceeding the MOD, is testing the gas. If you are not going to test the gas you shouldn't be using Nitrox, in exactly the same way if you are not prepared to stay within the MOD, you shouldn't be using Nitrox.

If you are not going to follow the rules, use air.

What about those of us who analyze (and adjust) during a dive?

That is likely where the bias comes from....

A high percentage of posters on this board are tech divers.

Some of us analyze during the dive with 3-5 independent oxygen sensors.

I would like to imagine a board seams bursting with recreational divers

able to operate on different levels of technicality as required, even to the

extent of building one of those analysing adjusting machines in their shed

So far 85% say they "always" analyze.
Yes I see. But how many of those are assuming the poll means testing for the Nitrox mix and not to see if Air is in fact Air?

and not to see if Air is in fact Air?
Splitting hairs.

32 and 36 are what, 10 and 20 feet different? You, as a recreational diver, gonna die on that?

I have two tanks of 100%. One is surface only the other is a pony. (OMG, am I gonna get hammered for calling it that) Why? Ask your dive boat captain where the O2 is. You might be surprised.

You play with O2 or you don't. If you don't then everything is air. No need to check. If you do, then Enquiring minds want to know.

I verify all breathing gas. I switched to using a cootwo, so oxygen and carbon monoxide content both get tested at the same time. Before getting the cootwo, I never bothered analyzing oxygen content on "air" tanks. I feel more comfortable now that I do.

DiveNav - Products - cootwo

You play with O2 or you don't. If you don't then everything is air. No need to check. If you do, then Enquiring minds want to know.

Very good way of putting it.

This post is simply an explanation of what the danger would be if the tank believed to be air actually had nitrox.

The most obvious danger is oxygen toxicity, and that is certainly possible. Some of the most celebrated cases of oxygen toxicity were caused by exactly that. For example, we have the case of Carlos, mentioned earlier, who thought he had air but actually had pure oxygen, which he breathed at 100 feet for a while until he toxed. Another case is the diver in South Florida who thought he had air in his doubles, which he used at about 160 feet for about 20 minutes before he toxed. (I talked with his buddy.) It turned out he had 36%.

Notice, though, that both of those cases had elements that are out of the range of recreational experience. In one, the diver was breathing pure oxygen at 100 feet. In the other, the diver was at 160 feet for with 36%. Both of these dives fall into the realm of technical diving.

What if a recreational diver were breathing a more common recreational nitrox mix (32% or 36%) in an AL 80 and thought it was air? What are the chances that diver would suffer a toxic effect? The MOD for 36% is 90 feet at the 1.4 standard and 110 feet at the 1.6 standard, and you have to be at that depth for a fair (and unpredictable) amount of time before something happens. Those depths are beyond what most people dive, and if the diver believes he or she is on air and trying to stay within NDLs, they will not be at those depths for long.

If a recreational diver believes the tank contains air and dives to the most common depths (say 40-90 feet) for recreational diving on air, it is very unlikely that anything bad will happen if the tank were mistakenly filled with a common recreational nitrox mix.

Please note that I am not advocating it--just pointing out the likelihood of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom