Synthetic slate for roofs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
This is my second construction-related post. Last time it was about tankless heaters. This time it's about roofing. Who knows what's next for this old house. :D

When I bought the scuba shack (built 1860) I knew I'd have some repairs to make. I am now anticipating a complete roof job after a summer "Nor'easter" blew in and the wife said she was bailing buckets & buckets.

This somewhat historic house has a shingle roof at present and it seems that a significant number of shingles are missing, turning to dust etc. due to neglect by the previous owner. I got a terrific roofer to stabilize the roof and am now pondering using synthetic slate to match the "historic" aspect of the home. Of course, synthetic slate is expensive and it seems everyone in the neighborhood is using asphalt. Of course, I am the only knucklehead in the area who bought a home made before the Civil War. :shakehead:

Any thoughts? Anyone using a synthetic slate like Authentic Roof, or Lamarite? Your construction experiences greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mr. X - Paying Through the Nose

Authentic roof: Authentic Roof - Innovators of the World's First synthentic roofing slates made from recycled polymers.
Tamko Lamarite: Lamarite® Composite Shingles by TAMKO®

Well...seems like I'll be taking the plunge and moving towards the new world of polymer-based synthetic slate. Almost as pricey as the real thing, but far less weight, management and highly resistant to fire and impact. We'll see how it goes!

X

Well...seems like I'll be taking the plunge and moving towards the new world of polymer-based synthetic slate. Almost as pricey as the real thing, but far less weight, management and highly resistant to fire and impact. We'll see how it goes!

X

Good luck! Post some photos.
N

Scuba Home Renovators - Update

I've discovered that buying a historic old home is probably not the best idea for something like a scuba shack. There are always repairs to be made and while old wood floors are gorgeous to look at - they're exceedingly fragile. That being said - nothing like the feel of history every time you set foot. A trade-off between functionality and aesthetics for the wife.

I've always been interested in green technology so I am having a LEED certified recycled roof put on using EcoStar is Premium Roofing products. A tad pricey, but a premium roof with 80% recycled content which mimics the slate I have on the roof. My slate after 150 years + is disintegrating. :depressed:

Boiler - I was going to go solar as much as possible, but given the constraints of work and travel will be getting a simple electric water heater and some http://www.rinnai.us/direct-vent-wall-furnaces/ to combat the cold of the NE. There is already a Carrier system in the house, but it doesn't reach all the zones of this three story shack.

That's just the latest...

Cheers,

Mr. X

Last edited:
Here's some roof pics of the synthetic slate:

1. 50 year transferable warranty
2. 80 % recycled product
3. Premium look and IMO pretty darn close to the real thing
4. Great for historic homes
5.Less weight on a roof vs. real slate

Disadvantages:
1. It is a premium roofing material and as such - not inexpensive
, but less than slate because of time related to labor
2. Synthetic slates do not have a track record longer than 20+ years. Slate's been around since the beginning of time. Conversely, inexpensive slate coming out of China may have impurities which lead to faster breakdown vs. higher-quality slate.

X

Pictures

Attachments

• Ecostar 1.jpg
    Ecostar 1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 45
  • ecostar 2.jpg
    ecostar 2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 60
From what I can see, it's pretty convincing. Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom