Trip Report - Huracan Diving, Long Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing, I really didn't take any pictures topside... Think of someones summer cottage... big screened porch, not extravagant, but well maintained and very comfortable.

Check out this site... there are a few random pics there...

http://www.bookyourdive.com/huracan-diving

Thanks for the link.

The place looks pretty sweet. I'm not sure I could talk my wife into it, though. TIR spoiled her, I'm afraid. She's a gal who likes her creature comforts.

So with four rooms, could you take over the place if you went as part of
a group of eight? My LDS might be interested in putting together a trip.

The place looks pretty sweet. I'm not sure I could talk my wife into it, though. TIR spoiled her, I'm afraid. She's a gal who likes her creature comforts.

As I recall, your better half isn't a diver, right? (What's up with THAT anyway???) If not, she might find it hard to stay amused unless she's happy hanging out reading a book. Huracan is very comfy, but it perhaps lacks some of the "frills" that TIR has. On the other hand, it as a cool old recompression chamber under the food buffet! And when you get blown out, a bottle of "One Barrel" and a few shot glasses show up to ease the pain!

And yup, 8 people would fill the place.

This is the chamber. It doesn't work and I promised Ruth I'd fix it, but I didn't. I'll have to return to do that. I've masked my face because there are several warrants outstanding... :wink:

This picture reminds that I should have mentioned that CC baked fresh bread every morning, and usually a banana cake or something too. And eggs and bacon and fruit and yogurt etc. We weren't actually roughing it all...

Huracan Chamber _LLC4087.jpg

She's both a diver and a lover of frills. Still, she might go for it, although I suspect she'd secretly wish we spent out time at Turneffe instead.

She's both a diver and a lover of frills. Still, she might go for it, although I suspect she'd secretly wish we spent out time at Turneffe instead.
Well it's not like Turneffe is a terrible place. We initially looked at this because of the proximity to somewhat better diving. Then when our friend decided to come, the single supplement became a factor. At TIR it's huge. At Huracan it was very reasonable so that became a factor. We were also paying a little more attention to the budget and decided we would "risk" trying this place and we're glad we did!

Stoo, enjoyed the report. Too bad about the weather. I had a stay there 2 years ago and got a bit luckier in that regard. Huracan is definitely not for everybody. But for those who can totally relax and melt into an island it is the ideal place. For those who need entertained, they will probably be somewhat bored. Interesting to note that DM (and original partner) Karel is no longer there. What was your opinion of the new DM?

Downing, I looked to see if I had any topside photos and didn't come across anything of note. It is just not something that it would occur to you to photograph. And as for not getting much of a feel for it from the website, you really don't get a much better feel for it when you actually there. You just follow the trails through the trees and brush and suddenly there it is, a rustic wooden lodge deep in amongst the trees. Simple, comfortable, spartan yet tastefully done. You definitely don't get the resort/motel feel from it. It feels far more like a B&B. If you continue on the trail, it takes you to the back dock amongst the mangroves.

As for the boat ride from Belize City, it's only 1:15 in good weather (on Mulac). When I was there I was told it is also roughly $500 in gas for a round trip which is why they limit trips as much as possible and insist on at least two passengers. Essentially half the money we paid for the two of us for the week we stayed went for the pick up and return trips.

Flareside, Jerome (DM) and Jack (Captain) were great. Bear in mind that two of us are pretty experienced (I have about 5000 dives logged and have worked and taught in the Caribbean and elsewhere) and Mrs. Stoo is an experienced warm-water diver. We try to be easy to get along with and find that DMs respond with allowing us to do our thing. Jerome dove with us for the first couple of days, but once the other folks arrived, we dove on our own. As a photographer, I really appreciated that. On our second Blue Hole dive, we were on our way back before the other people had even started to head down.

Both Jack and Jerome are jovial types and we really enjoyed diving with them. There was a lot of good-natured teasing on board (usually with me being the "victim") and because Huracan is such a small place, we saw a lot of the two of them after diving was finished for the day, which we enjoyed. (At Turneffe, this is frowned upon). I didn't really see Jerome in the water with the less experienced folks, but I also know that Ruth added another DM-in-training to assist with a couple of folks who were having trouble with the rough water.

In other words, we were looked after really well.

I should probably add that the dive boat "Mulac" is very nice boat to dive from. The boats at Turneffe are very small, (maybe 20' tops, single engine, and completely open). Mulac is larger (guessing 28', twin 150s and has a cuddy cabin to get out of the weather when necessary). As a boater, I appreciate the twin engines for safety.

Entry into the water is by back-roll. There is a small ladder on the transom which was a bit tiny and squishy. One rather "large" gentleman who dove with us had to have his tank/BC lifted in as did Mrs. Stoo. (She is almost 100# so climbing out with an 80 and weight integrated BC is a bit much.) There were no complaints from the crew about hoisting gear... or anything else for that matter!

Just an update to this report, Ruth has sold the place and it's now owned by a French couple and their American son. We are booked again, subject to a confirmation and just received an email from the new guy advising a rate increase of 25% plus. We aren't happy.

I'm waiting to hear his reply to my whining... The reality is that even at the new rate, it's still a pretty good deal, but considering the very "rustic" nature of the place, there are definitely alternatives for only slightly more. Considering the limited fresh water, "ok" food and lack of fresh towels, many will opt for a more luxurious option for marginally more money.

I can understand that a rate increase is warranted since another year has gone by, but an increase from $1490 to $1990 + 5% c.c. surcharge seems a bit much, unless the food has really improved or you get more than one towel for the week.

Sorry to vent, but our little group is a bit cranky tonight!

Just by way of an update, the new owners have agreed to honor the previously quoted price, which was very good of them. We will be returning, and look forward to seeing how things are going for them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom