Swivel connectors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Those swivel joints on the second stage...

I've been considering one of those swivel joints that the new Aqualung regs have (since I just bought my wife a Legend Supreme). At first my LDS said they would sell me one if I wanted but it was not recommended. After some more talking, they said that they simply were not a good thing and strongly advised me not to buy as they have a habit of failing. I do trust them so I am going to just upgrade my hose.

But I am worried about my wife's new Legend and Legend ABS octo both of which have a swivel on the second stage...Any thoughts or experiences?

1. They are not necessary.
2. They are a potential failure point.
3. Removing them costs nothing for some. For one type it may require another hose. Hoses are inexpensive.
4. If you remove them from your wife's rig, that is one less thing that can go wrong on a trip or a dive.

For your consideration...

Doc

The exact opposite. If you are DIR etc.or worried about failure points, I bet I could find another 10 on your regs and mine. I have used the swivels and the are great for underarm hose routing and maintaining a low profile. I wouldsay go for it.

The only swivel I have found that looks like it will stand up to the test of time is the new swivel hose from Atomic. It costs a ton but appears to be well built. If you must use a swivel it is the one to look at.

Hallmac

I agree with Hallmac in regard to the Atomic swivel.
Most of my diving is done in relative cold water. LP hoses can become very stiff and create uncomfortable positioning of the regulator mouthpiece. With a swivel, the regulator positions itself somewhat independently with respect to the postion of the LP hose.
How many times have you wished you could pull your hose in such a direction to take some of the awkward strain off the regulator mouthpiece.
I would stay away from any of the "economy" swivels.

Doc Intrepid:
1. They are not necessary.
2. They are a potential failure point.
3. Removing them costs nothing for some. For one type it may require another hose. Hoses are inexpensive.
4. If you remove them from your wife's rig, that is one less thing that can go wrong on a trip or a dive.

For your consideration...

Doc

I considered swivels once upon a time. I thought it would ease the "pull" of the regulator in my mouth and make it more comfortable to dive.

Then I discovered proper hose lengths and routing and never gave them a second thought...

You don't need a swivel; get rid of it.

Well I upgraded my hose to 7 feet and I don't think I need the swivel now. The 7 foot hose offers me the freedom of head movement my old 3 foot hose didn't. Now of course I have to read up on DIR on the best way to route the hose and recover from a lost regulator :)

I have the new Atomic B2 with the swivel hose. I can feel the difference with the swivel compared to my old reg. I don't have any pulling or discomfort. I used to get jaw fatigue, but not anymore. My wife has the Atomic M1 and we are going to get the swivel for her reg. I know some say it restricts the flow of air, but from what I have learned about the design of the swivel it does not really change the flow of the air. Anyways, I have no complaints when it comes to my B2, I just love it. It is like breathing air on a tropical beach with a cool breeze in the shad. :crafty:

My first set of cave regs had the swivel on it and it took me ages to figure out why it was less comfortable when I swiched to my present set.

So I recently bought a swivel and put it on my new long hose. It is much better and I am glad I did. I have never seen or heard of having one fail, but the potential is there like anything with an O-Ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom