swivel at primary reg??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not totally sure if you have switched from a regular hose to a 5 ft hose or have maybe shortened from a 7 foot hose to a 5 ft hose.

In either case adding a swivel between the LP hose fitting and the primary second stage is a bad idea. It adds a couple o-rings, one of them dynamic, that are prone to failure and those type of LP hose swivels have themselves catastrophically failed resulting in massive gas loss. There is currently a recall out on some swivels used in full face masks and my concern is that they were made by a third party who has almost certainly sold them to other companies for use in other applications.

In some cases the long hose routing around your neck, when done snugly enough to keep the hose close to your neck can create a slight pull on the regulator as you look to the far left, but the degree of pull is not objectionable and in my opinion is preferable to having either having a large loop of hose behind your head or using a swivel.

I should also point out that's my personal "hog" opinion, but I am pretty sure it is shared by most DIR types as well.

Outside of the added o-rings. I am wondering why a swivel would even be needed? Not slamming the initial question, just wondering where/why this came up. What purpose would the swivel serve? Pls help me understand.

Since this is the DIR forum, the answer is you don't need another swivel besides the one already on the second stage end of your regulator hose.

Its a matter of wrapping the 5' or 7' hose correctly, and practicing deploying and stowing it so its second nature when you need it.

As already stated a swivel is not needed on a 7' or 5' hose. Even the angle adapter I have on my 40" hose (used for WWW dives) is not DIR as it adds one extra o-ring.

DA Aquamaster:
It adds a couple o-rings, one of them dynamic.

Does "dynamic" refer to the o-ring in a 360' ball type swivel?

A dynamic o-ring is subjected to motion (rotation) and must retain a seal between moving parts. The o-rings on your SPG are dyanamic in that they complete the seal between the gauge and the HP hose even though you are able to rotate the guage head. A tank neck o-ring is static and not subjected to motion once in place. Dynamic o-rings are much more likely to fail. Hence the concern over not only adding an unnecessary failure point but one with a "higher probability" if failure.

I'm a shorter diver at 5'5" and had tried both the 5' and 7' hoses. I eventually had a custom 6' hose made which fits me perfectly. It does not loop excessively and still allows me reasonable rotation to the left.

evad:
Does "dynamic" refer to the o-ring in a 360' ball type swivel?
There is dynamic and then there is dynamic:

The dynamic o-ring in a 360d swivel is a face seal o-ring and can be extruded through the gap between the halves of the swivel, especially if the screw holding the halves together backs off a bit.
thrg1315.jpg

The dynamic o-ring in an angle adapter is a captured o-ring identical to the o-ring already in the end of your lp hose. It is much less likely to fail and when it does (I've had it happen on a lp hose without angle adapter) bubbles will issue forth between the hose and second stage but the o-ring itself will remain captured and slow the flow.
schlauchadapter.jpg

An extruded face seal o-ring (as used in the ball swivel) will allow a much greater flow and if the halves of the ball swivel come apart you essentially have the same flow as a completely severed lp hose.

That said, the addition of an extra o-ring, whether of the capture variety or face seal variety is not DIR.

Meng_Tze:
Outside of the added o-rings. I am wondering why a swivel would even be needed? Not slamming the initial question, just wondering where/why this came up. What purpose would the swivel serve? Pls help me understand.

I just purchased one but have not gotton to ues it yet. I have a fairly short hose on my primary first stage. It seems to pull a little becase the hose is so short. I know you are saying why do you not get a longer hose. Because I do not want a longer hose. Having a sharp bend at my reg should make it more comfortable I am hoping. the swivle was 40 bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom