Switching regs from one cylinder to another U/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it will be on the agenda of Protec's Advanced Sidemount class when I take it. I hear they also have a specially set up "Regulator from Hell", designed to make the student's dives more interesting.

I have seen it done. My buddy had a malfunction with one of his deco regs (two deco gasses) and was able to switch it at depth. FWIW I believe he was using Hollis regs. From what i understand a piston reg theoretically will handle the water better than a diaphragm, but the Hollis are diaphragm and handled the situation just fine.

...The regs have to be serviced, and the SPG is toast, but you can do it.

I don't understand why the SPG would be toast???

Bourdon tube pressure gauges work for years with salt water. Granted, the flow-limiting orifice may get blocked but is easily cleaned. Probably not a great idea to use on pure O2 bottles since it would be difficult to oxygen clean.

I don't understand why the SPG would be toast???

Bourdon tube pressure gauges work for years with salt water. Granted, the flow-limiting orifice may get blocked but is easily cleaned. Probably not a great idea to use on pure O2 bottles since it would be difficult to oxygen clean.

Good questions. All of my SPG's get soaked in regulator cleaner during every reg rebuild.

I hope this is a consistent question within this thread.

What would switching do to a dive computer (or does that matter)?

I hope this is a consistent question within this thread.

What would switching do to a dive computer (or does that matter)?

Assuming you are talking about an air-integrated computer, it wouldn't be good. It would most likely force water into the high pressure sensor of the computer and cause corrosion and, eventually, computer failure.

All of the industrial pressure sensors/tranducers I have seen are sealed, non-corrosive, and don't care if it is gas or liquid. This may not be the case for dive computers but would be interesting to learn.

The sensor itself may be sealed, but if the small hole that leads to the sensor starts corroding, the path would be blocked preventing proper pressure readings.

All the flow restricting orifices are upstream of the sensor in the first stage and hose/computer QD. You “should” be able to just rinse it out or dip the end in an ultrasonic cleaner. Granted, there are lots of different designs out there.

Last edited:
All the flow restricting orifices are upstream of the sensor in the first stage and hose/computer QD. You should be able to just rinse it out or dip the end in an ultrasonic cleaner. Granted, there are lots of different designs out there.

Okay, I'll be more specific. Say I have a Suunto Cobra 2, on a factory quick disconnect (mine) or an Aeris Atmos hoseless (would if effect the sender? - wife's)?

And I apologize if this is a thread hijack.

Back
Top Bottom