Switching hoses around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rahair

Reaction score
I just received my new 1st stage with reg and octo. The primary reg hose needs to be moved to where the octo hose is. They assembled it wrong. Can I switch these two hoses myself or do I need to take it to a LDS and have them do it? Thank you for your time.

Go ahead. The ports are the same size and the hoses can be unscrewed easily using a small wrench.

When you tighten them then they just have to be tight enough that the wrench doesn't turn any further. If you put a lot of torque on the wrench you can damage the regulator because it's made of fairly soft metal.

R..

If you have to ask, maybe you should have it done by the LDS. It is not hard to do, but it is possible to strip the threads, apply excessive torque and damage the fitting, or leave it too loose and have it come loose during the dive. If you are not used to tightening things with wrenches, leave it to the professionals. But if you want to do it yourself (I have been doing this sort of thing myself for the past 40 years without problems) hold the wrench with your hand close to the fitting so that you don't get a lot of leverage, and then turn it firmly but not with all your strength. That should get it within a reasonable torque range.

This is one of those things best to learn how to do IMO. You may need to fix a hose or blown o-ring in the field and might as well learn now.

As someone said above just don't over tighten. You just need to tighten it enough where you can't hand loosen and no more.

Adjustable wrench works great.

You can do it yourself. Keep it clean and don't over tighten, you will damage the 1st stage. I use my hands, no tools.

If you are not used to tightening things with wrenches, leave it to the professionals.
Good point. Similarly, if you don't know how to wipe your ass, you might want to hire a professional to come in and take care of that for you. It's pretty simple but you could make a mess of things. :wink:

This might sound paranoid, but make sure switching the hoses doesn't void the warranty. I actually had a dive shop give me pushback on some work on my Apeks when I customized my regs with different hoses and some Trident brand HP and LP 1st-stage port adapters....that was some years ago, and that shop is since out of business...just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom