Switching from Jacket bcd to Backplate/Wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so today i went to see one of the guys i that works at the dive shop i go to. he uses a bp/w and he let me check it out and were it to see how it fells. they unfortunately dont have a pool, but that's ok. i really like the feel of it. Felt alot more secure then my bc when the tank was strapped into it. also a lot more room with out the badder on my sides. ill probably need to get used to the crotch strap.

i felt very convinced about the bcd, and after reading what some of you had to say, i just went with my gut feeling and ordered the 28lb system. i got it with an aluminum back plate so i can control the weight better depending on how i use it. also upgraded the harness to this. before i buy i called to get more info, and found that the simple harness only had 3 d-rings + 1 on crotch. this one has 8 which is plenty i think. plus it has some shoulder pads

all in all it was $350.

also upgraded the harness to this. before i buy i called to get more info, and found that the simple harness only had 3 d-rings + 1 on crotch. this one has 8 which is plenty i think. plus it has some shoulder pads

D-Rings - With a simple (hogarthian) harness you can move, add or subtract D-Rings wherever (and whenever) you want them. The more complicated harness designs merely add a multitude of D-Rings because they are not flexible to re-locate/adjust the position for the individual user. The Hollis one that you've ordered is a Hogarthian design, but has taken the liberty of pre-installing 2 extra D-Rings on the shoulder straps and the right-side waist band. That's not too bad - the only issue being whether it'd have been cheaper for you to buy a couple of extra metal weight retainers and D-Rings and fitted them yourself.

DIR Compliance - Harnesses which come without a right-side waist D-Ring are created to be 'DIR' compliant. With DIR protocols (as taught by GUE/UTD etc) the diver will carry all of their deco stages on the left-side only. Thus only left-side shoulder and hip D-Rings are needed. The right-shoulder D-Ring exists primarily for clipping off the primary regulator when it is not used. The right-side hip D-Ring is removed/omitted, so that canister lights can be quickly and easily fitted to the right-side waist harness.

Canister Lights - Attaching a canister light is a valid consideration, if you will be progressing to technical/wreck diving. Because the Hollis Solo Harness has a right-side hip D-Ring... and the buckle seems to be (as indicated by the picture in the web link) fitted on the right-side waist belt... adding a canister light to the waist belt would be a royale pain in the butt.

Stage Cylinder Attachment - Other technical agencies are more flexible about deco bottle attachment - allowing cylinders to be stowed on both sides of the diver. Typically, 'right is rich' and 'left is lean' with respect to deco gas O2%. This is a more straight-forward approach for novice tech divers..and one often continued by those who start out that way. The drawback, as mentioned, being easy canister light stowage at the rear of the right-side waist belt.

No. of D-Rings - Given that most technical/cave divers find that 5 or 6 (if scootering) D-Rings are more than adequate for complex multi-tank deco/overhead dives, I often ponder why recreational divers place such a high value on the existence of a spectacular amount of D-Ring attachments. I think this is a product of scuba industry marketing nonsense - adding extraneous D-Rings is a cheap and brainless way to 'upgrade' the specifications of an otherwise uninspired BCD design - providing that the marketing whizz-kids can paint sufficient gloss on the 'value' of that. The end result being that divers are encouraged to value, and make use of, all these attachment points.... which is the fast-track route to becoming the infamous 'Christmas Tree Diver'.

D-Rings for Stowage - Wanting to avoid the 'Christmas Tree Diver' curse is preferable. Experienced divers don't look upon D-Rings as a means to attach all of their ancillary equipment. For the sake of efficient streamlining, reduced task loading and decreased risk of entanglement - the ideal stowage location for most items is in thigh pockets. Obviously, stage/deco cylinders are stowed on the hip/shoulder D-Rings. When divers use a back-up torch, seeking quick and efficient deployment, they will clip it a shoulder D-Ring...and secure it to the harness with bungee loops to prevent dangling. A rear D-Ring on the crotch strap is often used to secure reels/DSMBs. It can also be used to store extra deco/stage cylinders (tail-dragged). The front crotch-strap D-Ring is never used for stowage - it is for scootering only. Anything attached there is obviously going to dangle well below the diver.

Shoulder Pads - These are only beneficial if you envision you'll be walking long distances on land prior to your water entry. They make no difference underwater (because you're not bearing any weight). The downside is that they can add a little buoyancy (if foam/neoprene) and reduce flexibility to re-position the D-Rings (hence, Hollis have had to add extra ones pre-positioned).

Wow, thank for all that. Super Informative.

Never thought id see so much info about D-rings.

The Shoulder pads i really wanted. i walk a lot when i beach dive. one time i accidentally went on a drift beach dive, had to walk back a mile :shakehead: . There nice to have. my [-]current[/-] old bcd had crappy ones.

probably did spend a little more then i had to on the harnes

Shoulder Pads = 2" x 4"' pieces of foam camping mat.

Put them under the straps... walk where you need to.... pull them out... go diving without the extra foam.

Permanently attached? Duct tape :)

Say again....how much do they charge for these deluxe 'comfort' harnesses? :wink:

hahaha, look dont rub it in. :fail:

i thought about doing that, getting some shoulder straps from a backpack and just making them fit on the harness. but i really didnt want to add DIY stuff to the thing that holds all my gear together.

I dive the Hollis solo with a 38lbs singles wing and STA with 6lbs removable insert. I have the shoulder pads all the way on top of my shoulders. I only use two chest d-rings which are fully adjustable. The buckle is standard dir. No problem with can light. The pads will not need extra lead.

I dive a Santi E-Lite with fourth element drybase and need only 12lbs total. If need more warmth, I wear the zerotherm and arctic and a total of 18lbs max. Wieghts given includes plate and STA insert.

I use steel 119's for single with cam weight pocket on lower cam.

When I dove my 119 hp steel doulbes, I use just the plate with a 60lbs wing. So 6lbs total. Both wings are Hollis 360 type wings.

As for the crotch strap you will not notice it as long as it's properly adjusted.

You will never go back. Strange, but when I started diving, back inflation was taboo, now it's the rage.

Dale

The comment about "carrying stuff" like lobster gear and lights made me think about any one of the modern "ScubaPro Classic" jackets. They have huge pockets, most have multiple steel D-rings, and they are indestructible. If you are spending lots of time on the surface (surface swims or waiting for boat pick-up) holding a big bag of bugs, I find "jackets" to be more comfortable. I've never really liked back inflation. I'm weird that way. Full disclosure, I've always found SP Classics to be comfortable and they are my preferred jacket when I'm not having to dive something else for "store brand" reasons.

Ermaclob, have you already purchased? Are you soliciting opinions, or have you already made your purchasing decisions?

If you haven't, then I would be happy to make some recommendations. I (and others of similar experience and opinion) have already given you our ideas on backplates and wings - and the reasons for them... Yet we have all tended to avoid specifics like wing size, brand names and the like. I am confident that our opinions are no less concrete about specifics, yet sharing them may seem rude or inflammatory if you've already locked yourself into the purchase.

Where are you with this?

Ermaclob, have you already purchased? Are you soliciting opinions, or have you already made your purchasing decisions?

If you haven't, then I would be happy to make some recommendations. I (and others of similar experience and opinion) have already given you our ideas on backplates and wings - and the reasons for them... Yet we have all tended to avoid specifics like wing size, brand names and the like. I am confident that our opinions are no less concrete about specifics, yet sharing them may seem rude or inflammatory if you've already locked yourself into the purchase.

Where are you with this?

i have no problem hearing about what you have to say, the more info the better. however, i already bought it, its was the best deal i could find after a few days of hunting through sites.

the items that come with it are:

-28 Lb wing "DRIS Gear Trianta wing"

-aluminum back plate

-single tank adapter

-2 tank bands with steel clamps

-Hollis Solo harness

heres a video,
[video=youtube;ORPlMibeQO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPlMibeQO0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom