Switching back and forth between E7 & E8 tanks with same BC strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it's not even an annoyance.

All one has to do is to remove the tank strap band from the last slot in the cam buckle, loosen or close the strap, reposition the strap in the buckle and close it down. Takes a minute or so.

No big deal.

Do it all the time.

the K

Ya beat me to the punch....Taking the strap out of the last slot makes it less of a hassle to adjust.

Shifting from 7.25" tanks (AL63, AL80, etc.) to 8" tanks (AL100, etc.), I have to loosen the cam bands, which takes a few moments (but only a few moments). Shifting the other way takes almost no time at all.

(Frankly, even when I'm not shifting to smaller tanks, I still do the same procedure much of the time. It's how I keep my cam bands comfortably tight, and it's probably the reason that even in my one-band jacket BC, I've *never* had a tank loose, much less had one slip out.)

Been there done that

Easy solution. Get Apollo Bio Tank Lock.

AP-BioTankLock-2T.jpg

That's an awesome solution to a non-existent problem :D

Were I you, I'd dive the same tank as much I possible. I like keeping all things the same as possible on my dive gear.

We sometimes switch for singles, and it takes absolutely no time or effort (for me) going from 8" to 7.25". The other way around takes at most 30 seconds.

Were I you, I'd dive the same tank as much I possible. I like keeping all things the same as possible on my dive gear.

Actually I shift my gear around a lot. Just going from 54F California water in a two piece 7MM with gloves and hooded vest, to 80F tropical water in a 3mm shorty is a big shift and involves dropping about 8 lbs in weight. Last month I dove Florida (74F) in a two piece 3mm full suit, this past weekend I dove 54F water in a two piece 7MM, next week I'm diving Cozumel in a 3mm shorty, and the weekend after that I'm back to my two piece 7MM in California. Sometimes I dive with a camera and strobe, sometimes I don't take it. Sometimes I add a pony bottle to my rig, most times I dive without it. I think the ability to dive in different gear and different conditions is an important skill to master. And while I think I'd get good use out of a 130 tank for deeper or nitrox dives, carrying the extra 10 pounds on my back compared to my HP 100 just wouldn't make sense to me when I'd be diving with a buddy using only an 80.

Back
Top Bottom