Swimming Workout in Alert Diver--My experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The Summer 2012 issue of DAN's Alert Diver presents a swim training sample workout as part of the Swim Training for Scuba Divers by Gary Hall. After reading the article, I decided to try the sample workout. I am an avid swimmer, swimming with fins and freestyle (the crawl) aon average twice a week; sometimes on my own and usually with my Master's swim club. The workout I adopted for myself consists of the following (distances are in meters or yards depending on which way they have the lanes going at the local pool where I swim):

200 easy warm up swim
50 x 8 swimwith 15 seconds rest between each
Kick against the wall for 45 seconds with 15 seconds rest for five cycles
100 easy swim
25 x 8 underwater (I do mine on the minute which means I am on the surface at the end for twice as long as the swim takes)
50 x 4 kick with fins fast (my interval is 1:15)
50 x 4 freestyle with fins fast (my interval is 10 minute)
200 easy warm down swim

This is a 1500 yard/meter swim just under a mile. It took me about 45 minutes.

A couple of notes:

I do not swim with my dive fins. I use open heel swim fins such as T2 tech swim fins (silicone, very comforatable) or Da Fin swim fins (rubber, very stiff). Churchills also work well. I could use full foot fins (think snorkeling fins) available for use at the pool. The swim fins most master's swimmers use have very short blades and do not put out the power you need to do some of this workout).

I swim with square leg or jammer style suits. Doing fitness swims with board shorts is like swimming with a parachute around your feet because of all the drag. Fitness swimming is about practicality, not about fashion or what you think others may think how you look. But, check with the local pool. There are a few pools ban "speedo style" suits for anything but organized lap swimming or competition.

I don't usually swim with a dive mask. I swim with googles. I sometimes use a swimmers snorkel (mounted on the center of the head to facilitate swim strokes), but sometimes swim with my scuba snorkel.

The only time I have been questioned about swimming underwater is when I have gone from one end of the pool and back on a single breath. I built up to this over time and was using a monofin. Lifeguard and swim agencies like the Red Cross are very aware of the dangers of extended breath-hold swimming and discourage the practice. You will probably need to work up to the 25 yard distance and do not hyperventilate before starting, anytime!

If you plan to do this workout, do it during lap swim between lane lines. It will be nearly impossible to do this workout during open or family swimming as there are too many people doing random things to allow you to swim a straight line. If the lane is crowded, explain to your lane mates what you intend to do and if there is circle swimming move to the side of the lane at the end, because lap swimmers turn around in the middle. Also, since most lap swim periods have designated lanes for slow, moderate or fast speeds, start in the slow lane and work your way up as you find conditions.

I have been fin swimming in lap pools since the mid 1980s. Only once have I had someone in a very loud voice state, "you should be doing that open swim, not during lap swim". I looked at her and in a firm but pleasant voice stated; "I am swimming laps in a structured workout. Just because I am not swimming your workout does not mean that I am not lap swimming." That pretty much shut her up.

500 yds/450m easy warm-up Free-style (under 14 minutes --GUE Swimming Requirement)

50 yd resting Breast Stroke
200 yds Scissors side kick (alternate sides every 50 yd);
200 yds kickboard work Flutter & Frog (alternate every 50 yd);
200 yd kickboard work Dolphin & Frog (alternate every 50 yd);
200 yds kickboard work Backstroke Flutter & Frog -Supine (alt 50 yd);
200 yd Free-Style Sprint
100 yd Free-Style Sprint;
50 yd Free-Style Sprint;
50 yd Free-Syle Sprint;
50 yd cool-down Breast Stroke

Warm down stretches legs, back, shoulders & arms;
50 yd underwater swim (notify Lifeguard);
Tread Water & "Dead-man Float" back stretches.

Resting or Fun Days:
Run a mile;
Either 1500 yds easy free-style
or 200 yd medley (Butterfly, Back, Breast & Free-Style).

Circuit train in weightroom twice a week for endurance (no more doing five days a week power pyramid sets/max lift sets for me --I'm getting too old for that!)

My emphasis is endurance on the variety of kick styles (Frog, Flutter, Dolphin, & Scissors and surface flutter kick on back) that I would use during a recreational or technical dive. . .

thanks for the workout. two pools I swim at have banned 50 m breath hold (which with my competition monofin takes less time than my 25 m bifins but its their pool).

Back
Top Bottom