Swimming Skills Assessment

How strong a swimmer are you?

• Strong Swimmer: Competitive high school, college, or masters swimmer, lifeguard, or WSI

Votes: 88 21.0%
  • Fitness Swimmer: Not perfect, but routinely swim for fitness or compete in triathlons

Votes: 101 24.1%
  • Average Swimmer: Learned as a child, but only swim occasionally

Votes: 207 49.4%
  • Weak Swimmer: Not confident in swimming ability especially far from shore or in the ocean

Votes: 23 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an observation, the last summer camp that I lifeguarded for the BSA required all scouts to pass a "swimmer" test to be allowed in the deep end and to be allowed on boats, canoes, etc. This included floating for 2 min unassisted and swimming 200 meters. IMHO anyone with somewhat basic swimming ability can accomplish these requirements.

Should it be a requirement for SCUBA...? I'm not one to make that decision, but there is definitely a benefit to having the ability to swim, especially in a safety sense.

I am not sure I understand your point here. I don't know of any dive certification agency that does not already have swimming requirements that exceed this.

I DM'd for the pool session for an OW class and two of the students simply couldn't swim. I'm not talking about style points. I mean that they could not propel themselves from one end of the small indoor pool to the other end. If they hadn't grabbed the side of the pool, they would have drowned (absent a rescue).

The Instructor got them out of the water and told them that they weren't going to become divers until they learned how to swim. We asked them why they wanted to learn to dive, when they couldn't even swim. They explained that they were construction workers and their boss sent them to become divers, as the boss had gotten a contract to replace a pier.

Yikes!! These guys were going to doing commercial work with an OW cert. (and in black water)!!

The instructor told them that would need commercial certs. to do underwater construction.

As far as I'm concerned, he saved their lives by keeping them out of the water, for either recreational and commercial purposes.

It really shocked me that people so unskilled and uncomfortable in the water would ever consider scuba diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would NEVER buddy with someone who described themselves as a poor swimmer. No way. That tells me that if there was an equipment failure, they'd be toast.

Seems harsh :shocked2: What kind of equipment failure would send me to my doom?

I suppose I could get a hole in my BC.....and possibly I could lose my fins and my dSMB.....and a herd of hungry Angelfish could rip off my wetsuit....

But all at the same time? :idk:

Seems harsh :shocked2: What kind of equipment failure would send me to my doom?

I suppose I could get a hole in my BC.....and possibly I could lose my fins and my dSMB.....and a herd of hungry Angelfish could rip off my wetsuit....

But all at the same time? :idk:

You really cannot conceive of a realistic scenario where swimming competence won't cause an issue?

People can and do panic in the water when things don't go smoothly, and I cannot imagine a situation where a LACK of ability makes things better.

You really cannot conceive of a realistic scenario where swimming competence won't cause an issue?

No I can't. Please offer one.

I'm sure the level in swimmers we see in todays industry we likely go down. Due to certification agencies lowering the standard to become a "scuba diver". I understand the need for new divers, especially in todays economy. However I don't agree with the campaigns they run to get more people involved. Between shop to shop price wars(which effects the instructors impact on students) and agencies allowing divers to be less proficient in their swimming ability. This is a breeding ground for disaster. We should be promoting continuing education & watermanship skills to make more money and come up with a more standardized pricing. So its not about the money but the training.

LeadCarrier, I agree. And access to a pool doesn't mean a 100 mile round trip with Canadian gas at maybe $5.50 a U.S. gallon.
Seaducer, Somewhat disagree on this one. While I think general fitness is very important and necessary to swim well, I feel skill (form) is a fair bit more important. Myself case in point: First try at the 400 with horribly rusty forgotten skills--barely made 200 without collapsing. After recalling all the proper skills--finished the 400 shortly after and soon after that got a "2" while training. Passed DM test months later with a "3". There's where the developed swim muscles enters in. Yes, I was in better overall shape when I got the "3", but I don't think by a whole lot.
fisheater, Re the construction workers: Amazing story. There must be many more like it.

No I can't. Please offer one.

Come on... We all saw the movie open water... Now that is an extreme and swimming would not have helped them much. However it brings up a good point. "Swimming to shore" it happens unfortunately. People get left because, poor management of dive boats... Not often but it does happen happen every year. Sometimes floating is not an option, if the shore is within a 1-3miles a good swimmer would make this easy with their gear intact. A couple of poor swimmers might continue to float and either fall to the fate of the movie, be picked up later 1hr-24hrs-36hrs.. Personally, im not waiting on the boat. If they were that dumb to loose me, who is to say they would be smart enough to find me in time if I just float...

More importantly, rescue... be it self rescue or that of a loved one. Being a good swimmer is a must. If you cant swim for yourself, then you cant swim for you and another...

Come on... We all saw the movie open water... Now that is an extreme and swimming would not have helped them much. However it brings up a good point. "Swimming to shore" it happens unfortunately. People get left because, poor management of dive boats... Not often but it does happen happen every year. Sometimes floating is not an option, if the shore is within a 1-3miles a good swimmer would make this easy with their gear intact. A couple of poor swimmers might continue to float and either fall to the fate of the movie, be picked up later 1hr-24hrs-36hrs.. Personally, im not waiting on the boat. If they were that dumb to loose me, who is to say they would be smart enough to find me in time if I just float...

More importantly, rescue... be it self rescue or that of a loved one. Being a good swimmer is a must. If you cant swim for yourself, then you cant swim for you and another...

How did the divers in your scenario lose their fins, BCD's, wet suits, etc.?

How did the divers in your scenario lose their fins, BCD's, wet suits, etc.?

Yes, my point in all those boat scenarios offered up. Still waiting for that scenario where you swim without fins a long way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom