Swimming requirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not usually, but you might if no one notices you fall.

Yeah, good point, especially if it's a cruise ship. I imagine your floating skills would in most cases be more useful though.

. Thus, if a person is a poor swimmer, they are an even worse scuba diver.

Do you mind if I ask what you base that fact on? Where did you find your statistics or is this your opinion?

You may have knowledge that I don't about divers but I have taught a number of divers that were not very good swimmers at all but have turned out to be very good divers.

Hi, folks, only my second post on this board so far...nice to meet you all!

Anyway, I got my OW cert in Aruba this fall and failed my swimming test the first time out. I was so stoked about finally getting certified that I dove in and swam a pretty fast crawl stroke...for about 75 yards...then nearly drowned as I just plain ran out of air! My cardio was nowhere near where it should have been at the time due to a recent illness and inactivity plus a late night of beers and pizza the previous day.:dork2:
Long story short I repeated the test the next day at a much more leisurely pace mostly on my back just kicking along, I could have swam 2 miles instead of just the 200 yards!:D

As my instructor and others here have said there is no time or style requirement...only that you can cover the distance and remain afloat.

I can swim, but I am not a strong swimmer, if that makes any sense. My experience at a gym is I can swim only one length 50 yards than I am gassed. Though I do consider myself in average shape. The 200 yard requirement bothers me some. Usually I swim 50 yards, stop for a minute and then can do another 50, and do this half a dozen times. I do hang on the edge at the end of a 50yd. I believe I am breathing properly exhaling under water and inhaling about every other stroke. Using fins I am sure that I could do the 300 yd requirement don't think I need the mask and snorkel. Would you expect that I will have a problem. I may be able to do 50 yd paddle on my back for a little break and then continue to freestyle but I have not really tried this.

Based on what you have experienced, how much of a problem will I have?

Do you mind if I ask what you base that fact on? Where did you find your statistics or is this your opinion?

You may have knowledge that I don't about divers but I have taught a number of divers that were not very good swimmers at all but have turned out to be very good divers.

No, I don't mind. Actually, what I said was:

"Some people seem to feel that "swimming" without fins is somehow different than "scuba diving" with fins. I don't agree. Fins are just an aid, and they don't begin to offset the added drag created by scuba gear. Thus, if a person is a poor swimmer, they are an even worse scuba diver."

Meaning that if you lack the training, skill, strength, stamina, lung capacity, and cardiovascular fitness to get yourself through the water WITHOUT scuba gear on, you are going to perform even worse WITH gear on, because gear is heavy and bulky and creates a lot of drag, and fins do not offset that added drag.

The OP said he was "gassed" after swimming 50 yards and asked how much of a problem we think he would have, based on our experience. Based on my experience, he would be okay if he stayed within his limits and nothing bad happened. But if and when something bad happens he could quickly find himself in a heap of trouble.

Swimming without fins is a sport. Swimming with fins (mask, snorkel possibly-no other gear) and using your arms is probably 4 times faster. Swimming with fins and not using your arms is a PADI test. Scuba diving in full gear is completely different. It basically requires very strong legs (if speed is needed underwater), no use of arms thus no stroke techinques, and no precise breathing other than "slowly and deeply". If it need be you must swim a long way on the surface to save yourself or another you probably will ditch most gear--maybe not the BC and definately not the fins. With/without fins--apples/oranges.

Hello there!
It may be a good idea to learn to swim properly. It will give you more confidence in the water at any given time scuba or skin diving. Swimming is my physical fitness sport and out of all the sports I've done it's been the least damaging to my body. I'm a stonge believer that its important to be a stonge swimmer for any type of water sport it just may help you get out of "situation".
Enjoy diving

The swim test is not a stamina test but rather a mental test as to comfort with yourself in the water. Relax. Take it slow and make it work for you. You can do it...just relax and not get all worked up about it.

Good luck.

When the going gets tough, good swimmers survive. Poor swimmers panic.

RULE 5. Panic is the primary cause of diver death.*

*From the book DIVER DOWN. Introduction. The Rules of Diving. P. 13 C 2006 Michael R. Ange.

When the going gets tough, good swimmers survive. Poor swimmers panic.

RULE 5. Panic is the primary cause of diver death.*

*From the book DIVER DOWN. Introduction. The Rules of Diving. P. 13 C 2006 Michael R. Ange.

All statistics to the contrary.

Read the descriptions of dive fatalities in the DAN reports and see what percentage can be assigned to panic.

Change up on the strokes, take your time, it's not a race. Don't focus on the distance, go till the instructor says stop. Float if you have to, back stroke works well. DO NOT HANG ON THE SIDE OF THE POOL. If you can't meet the swimming requirements, take some lessons if you have to but don't show up for class and expect the instructor to turn a blind eye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom