Swimming pool bad for gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GFuterfas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, now that I've got my new regs on the way, I was thinking of testing them out in my friend's swimming pool but I've heard pools are bad for dive gear. Specifically, what equipment are they bad for and why? Is the chlorine going to bleach\stain my wetsuit and BC? Is it corrosive to the regulator somehow? I can obviously rinse the gear afterward, but I'd like to know what potential problems I'm exposing it to.

Thanks,
-Graham

They are bad for your gear if you use it week in week out in a pool (well they may wear out slightly faster) but it's not problem for the odd check out dive with new/just serviced kit as long as it's either rinsed with fresh water afterwards. In fact it's probably a good idea to carry out a check out dive if it's new/just been serviced!

Scuba kit is very robust.
If you were spending many hours a week for weeks on end BC's will get bleached of colour and piston reg o rings can get "crispy"......but for what you want to do, no worries.

Hi, now that I've got my new regs on the way, I was thinking of testing them out in my friend's swimming pool but I've heard pools are bad for dive gear. Specifically, what equipment are they bad for and why? Is the chlorine going to bleach\stain my wetsuit and BC? Is it corrosive to the regulator somehow? I can obviously rinse the gear afterward, but I'd like to know what potential problems I'm exposing it to.

Thanks,
-Graham

Graham,

I've been in the pool 2 or 3 times a month for the last year. The pool hasn't affected anything, but I am all very particular about spraying if off with fresh water. Also, the pool in which I dive does not have a lot of chlorine, unlike some municipals I've swum.

Ive been spending on hour in a swimming pool every week for the past few years and my kit still seems fine :D

i've done two 2 hour pool sessions a week for the past few months, due to training and have not had any problems. I do however soak and rinse my gear thoroughly with fresh water after every session.

We have full sets of scuba gear that's used both in the pool twice a week practically every week, and those same pieces of gear go on ocean dives. They're at least 2 years old now and all the pool's really done to them is faded their color from black to charcoal. Really the most damage they get is from the sand if anything.

If you remember to rinse your gear well like it had just gone on a salt water dive, you'll be fine.

Pools are harsh on gear but so is the ocean. As long as you give your gear a fresh water rinse after there is no danger of messing it up. It's made to get used and my gear spends hours in the pool every week and the only thing I have noticed is bleaching of the blue nylon on one of my clips, but hen again it could be from the sun?

It is always recommended to do a check put dive with your gear in a pool before you take it in the open water. Especially if you are going on a boat or a trip where spare/replacement parts are not as easy to come by.

Graham,

Hey it's Alex, we dove together on the Spectre about a month ago.

What kinda Regs are you getting?

Alex

Hey Alex! I decided on the Edge Gear Hog D1 regulator set from Dive Rite in Scuba.

Trying to find a day to get out again in the next few weeks if you want to meet up. Sharon wants to take a drysuit class soon, so we may do that. Saw your snowboarding pics on FB.

Thanks,
-Graham

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom