Swimming and dry mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
I just come back from the pool. After pre-drinking a lot of water, I got in water. Man, I felt like a beer bottle in water. It helps a little though, not much..

In addition, I have another issue. How do you take care of your skin when you swim regularly? Are there any particular caution when you take a shower and any particular lotion or treatment after swimming exercise? I can see my skin is getting more dry.

Thanks for you insights in advance.

Most chemicals added to the pool dry your skin out. I'm in a pool every day and I always shower immediately after swimming (normal shower, hot water + soap). The shower takes off the chemicals but drys your skin out even more. Just use any standard body lotion to re-moisturize.

You may want to try UltraSwim shampoo. It is formulated to remove the chemicals and metal oxides from your hair and restore moisture.

Saline Pool is the thing these days. works Wonders on keeping red eye out.

Great info...

I will get an UltraSwim shampoo. It sounds like a good stuff. I haven't used any soap except some hairy areas because too much soap might exacerbate a dry skin.

Are you guys drinking water between the laps, too?

Unless you're on medication that may result in dry mouth, it may just be dry air circulating in the back of your throat causing the dry mouth. Are you swimming indoors or outdoors? There's a product called Biotene that supposedly helps dry mouth. If dehydration were the concern, you would likely have other signals and not just a dry mouth.

hoosier:
Great info...

I will get an UltraSwim shampoo. It sounds like a good stuff. I haven't used any soap except some hairy areas because too much soap might exacerbate a dry skin.

Are you guys drinking water between the laps, too?

I keep a bottle of water so I stay hydrated. People don't think about it but you do sweat while you swim and you need to have fluid intake. Even if I've forgotten my water, I don't get dry mouth unless the pH is off.

I always keep a big bottle of water at the end of the lane. I usually do 4x400 meter segments for my mile and I take a quick break inbetween segments. I really helps on the nights that I go farther than a mile.

I always keep a bottle of water to have a drink between sets - otherwise I get one almighty headache afterwards, even if I dont feel thirsty as such, and also the dry mouth problem - I find taking in any pool water (the pool I use is chlorinated) makes the dry mouth thing way worse. I also get the drying out of skin (and hair), made worse by the dry climate here - dont use anything special in the shower, but I make sure I lather on the cocoa butter after every session - also helps get rid of the chlorine stink. There's plenty of unscented moisturizers around too if you dont want to smell like a girl!

Good hydration is not just loading up on water before or after intense actvity.
If you live in a dry and hot area of the country your lungs and your sweat glands expend a lot of water to keep you cool, even more if, like you say, you run and swim regularly.
Our bodys are true marvels of balance. If your system is low on fluids it will recuperate what it can from non (less essential) functions such as: salivary glands, digestion fluids, tears, and urine.
So, when that happens, your mouth and eyes dries up, you become constipated, your skin glands stop producing lubricating oils and so on in varying degrees.
Plan on drinking the recomended amount of water as specified in medical guides for your height, weight and age for a good week. Making sure it's done regularly during the day and see if there are any changes.
It has done a lot of good for my wife who had problems with dry mouth and constipation.

I am not a doctor but I don't think there is any risk in hydrating oneself properly. Some expert on the board would certainly be welcome in putting theese toughts in a more structured fashion.
Good luck and all the best.

Thanks all...

In the meantime, I also consulted with a doctor about my symptom.

After changing my exhale method (from mouth to nose), I have been able to reduce my dry mouth symptom tremendously. In addition, it made me much easier to balance my staminar. I also drink water between the segments and it helps me a lot. However, it isn't a complete care. Let's see how it goes...

A 1000 meter swimming everyday makes me feel better, especially in a muggy day. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom