Swimmer's goggles as backup mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Code Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now, I know what you're going to say: "you can't equalize goggles." But I was thinking, if I lose a mask strap (or the whole mask) underwater, I'm going to want to abort the dive, anyway. I thought that I could do this while being able to look at my gauges if I did the following:

1) pulled the ultra-small goggles out of my BC pocket and put them on
2) clear the goggles (this might be a bit tricky)
3) signal to my buddy that the dive is over
4) *MAYBE*, while keeping at my current depth, look around for my mask
5) slowly ascend to safety stop depth
6) watch my gauges with my spiffy new goggles for 3-5 minutes
7) surface.

I'm thinking that if I never descend, I can avoid an eye squeeze. I'm also thinking that a small eye squeeze won't damage anything. It's just a whim, at this stage.

How stupid is this? Thoughts? (DUCK!)

As you say it would be trick to clear the things but the full span swim mask (noit just eye cups) may work with enough bubbles blown at it. You would not be able to compensate for mask squeeze but as long as you don't go deeper air will be wanting to escape around the skirt and it won;t squeeze.

For all the mediocrity your inviting just get a low profile dive mask and forget about it.

Pete

I played with the idea a bit a couple years ago. After you put the goggles on and with your head looking about 30 degrees up from straight down, exhale slowly thru your nose while pulling just the lower part of the goggle away from your cheek. They usually won't completely clear, but should catch enough enough air to allow you to read gauges. Even donning the goggles with no mask is a bit of a challange. You will probably want to do something to mark right side up that you can feel.

If nothing else, its a good excuse to practice breathing and bouyany control without a mask. I finally discarded the idea as not very necessary.

If all you are going to do is ascend, do a safety stop, then surface, you don't need a backup, particularly if you have a buddy. Just use him as a guide. Even with no mask, you should be able to see his body or his light. And that's not even taking into account that you can probably read your depth gauge/computer if you hold it right up to your face, either with or without forming a bubble by cupping your hand over your eye.

Why complicate things?

Just take your mask off at the beginning of your next ascent. You will probably be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to control your ascent without a mask.

You know if you cup your hands just right over your eyes and exhale (must have great seal) you can create enough of an air space to see. Level of difficulty - 9.6

My first thought was "how you gonna clear them?"

then, second thought was, if you got them "cleared" at depth, then
the plastic is most likely not "tempered" for pressure at depth. so
if the plastic bursts, then you get plastic shards in your eyes?
not fun at any depth.

WadeGuthrie:
Now, I know what you're going to say: "you can't equalize goggles." But I was thinking, if I lose a mask strap (or the whole mask) underwater,

I'm thinking that if I never descend, I can avoid an eye squeeze. I'm also thinking that a small eye squeeze won't damage anything. It's just a whim, at this stage.

How stupid is this? Thoughts? (DUCK!)

Answer is in your question :)

If you think you need backup mask...then carry a backup mask :)

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom