Swiftwater Resources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dittrimd

Force Fin Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our team has always been a dive rescue team but recently our commanders realized that were were getting called for any type of water rescue situation. While we do have some gear like PFD's, Helmets, Ropes and rigging etc, we have never done swiftwater training. Our Board of Directors decided they wanted us to have swift/flood water rescue capability which we could offer to our departments similar to our dive team capability. I am looking for good sources of information on all aspects of swiftwater rescue from training, equipment, SOP's etc. I have found some good training and equipment sites but the team information does not seem to be as abundant. I would really like to find a forum similar to this forum to get ideas and share information.

If anyone has any good links please pass them along.

Thanks,

Mark

Have you checked the Yahoo news group swifth2o? If not, do a yahoo search.

Get ahold of DRI. They have a good program.

Gary D.

Thanks guys for all the responses. I requested membership in the yahoo forum and the PA water rescue site looks very interesting.

Gary I have already looked at the DRI swiftwater training and I noticed they added a Flood and Moving water training course. Maybe Blades can give us some idea of the differences between the two courses. Our swift water primarily occurs during the spring flooding seasons. It would be nice to know which course might be more appropriate. Since our team is new to swift water rescue which class would be better to take?

Thanks again,

Mark D.

Thanks guys for all the responses. I requested membership in the yahoo forum and the PA water rescue site looks very interesting.

Gary I have already looked at the DRI swiftwater training and I noticed they added a Flood and Moving water training course. Maybe Blades can give us some idea of the differences between the two courses. Our swift water primarily occurs during the spring flooding seasons. It would be nice to know which course might be more appropriate. Since our team is new to swift water rescue which class would be better to take?

Thanks again,

Mark D.

Swift water is a lot of fun for training and can be taxing for rescue. Floods just plain suck no matter how you look at it. Everything that can kill or injure a PSD is tossed into one operation.

Gary D.

Actually my most haunting memory is of a flood rescue that I was part of a few years back. A Stop & Shop Pea Pod delivery truck drove through a washed out road and sunk into a portion of the road that had washed out. My ignorance of swiftwater resuce technique and sheer luck kept me and my partner from serios injury or worse. Since then I have been hoping our team would make the decision to become swift water capable. I am looking forward to the challenge of getting our team up to the task.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mark D.

Maybe Blades can give us some idea of the differences between the two courses. Our swift water primarily occurs during the spring flooding seasons. It would be nice to know which course might be more appropriate.

Mark,

NFPA 1670 defines swift water as water moving faster than 1 knot (1.15 mph). If you are in an area where water is moving horizontally and/or down hill with speed, then the "Swift Water Rescue Class" is probably the program that best suits your needs. If you are working in rising water with some horizontal movement, then the "Floods and Moving Water Class" may be more appropriate. Your terrain and past history can assist the office in determining the best program to suit your needs.

The good thing though is the instructors who teach these programs have considerable experience and will make certain that the program they teach is realistic and addresses the challenges that are unique to your region.

That being said, the persons who know more than I do about this subject are Justin Fox and John Whitlock. Both can be reached at the DRI office, (800) 248-3483.

Thank you for your interest!

Blades

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom