Swift and Aqualung Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One correction. The Swift actually has a different FCC ID. An FCC report indicates it is 2AO24-17001, not MH8A. They are still compatible, though.
Thanks for this; I just learned something wonderfully obscure:
MH8 is FCC ID for PPS; A is the PPS transmitter.
2AO24 is FCC ID for Shearwater; 17001 is the SWIFT.

Not really a "special tool", just the tiny hex key wrench included with each swift. (1.5 mm IIRC). it just goes in the case wherever the Swift goes. Admittedly, not as handy as a coin, but last time I needed to open the Perdix, I didin't have a coin, and seemed that coins didn't have much value in the local currency wherever I was so they just didn't use them. So I now have a "special tool" coin that has to go with me along with the wee tiny hex head.

A 1.5mm hex wrench qualifies as a "special tool", to me. They are not commonly found. None of my scuba mutli-tools have one on them. Very different than just needing a coin or a big slotted screwdriver or the back of a knife blade.

Also, I don't remove my transmitters from my reg sets, ever. In other words, I don't put them in their case. So, the case is usually not likely to be near at hand when I need to change a battery.

Not to say that I can't work something out to be reasonably sure the tool is available when I need it. It's just not as easy as dealing with the old style. Not to mention the chances of losing one of those tiny screws versus losing the old style cap. I would really hate it if I had to change the battery on a Swift on a pitching boat.

For that matter, with the Swift screwed into a HP port, can I get to all the screws to remove them without first removing the Swift from the 1st stage? If not, then that means I need to carry the thin 11/16" wrench also? For removing the Swift from the 1st stage?

For that matter, with the Swift screwed into a HP port, can I get to all the screws to remove them without first removing the Swift from the 1st stage? If not, then that means I need to carry the thin 11/16" wrench also? For removing the Swift from the 1st stage?
In general, No. Thus, Yes and Yes.

Also, I don't remove my transmitters from my reg sets, ever. In other words, I don't put them in their case. So, the case is usually not likely to be near at hand when I need to change a battery.
I hear you. I remove my transmitters from my reg sets only when I take them in for service. It's probably not necessary, as my shop is pretty careful, and familiar with transmitters. So unlikely to damage them, but they don't need it, and I do maintenance (battery, o-ring changes) on my transmitters while my regs are at the shop.
Not to say that I can't work something out to be reasonably sure the tool is available when I need it. It's just not as easy as dealing with the old style. Not to mention the chances of losing one of those tiny screws versus losing the old style cap. I would really hate it if I had to change the battery on a Swift on a pitching boat.

Agreed. Definitely wouldn't want to remove those tiny screws on a pitching boat. One of the other advertised benefits of the swift is that you can use the Swift body to tighten or remove from the HP port. So, you wouldn't need the 11/16" wrench.

I do have one in my SAD kit, though. Used more often on other people's regs on-site than my own.

I do understand the reasoning behind the Swift. However, I don't see myself moving from my Oceanic transmitters to the Swift any time soon. If the Oceanics die, I'll send them in along with $120 for a replacement. I currently have 3 of these, but that's for 3 divers, so the prospect of a collision is extremely remote.

Swifts are usually not installed using a wrench - just tightly hand tight. Heck, I know people that just run their hoses hand tight into the reg. And for the most part, really all they need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom