SW Peregrine TX vs Garmin G1 for occasional diver

Shearwater Peregrine TX vs. Garmin G1

• Peregrine TX

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Garmin G1

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SD_Trojan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

Been certified for many years now with OW and AOW, but the truth is, I dive fairly rarely. I live in San Diego and most of the time I just don't feel motivated to go into cold water and so-so vis and unremarkable shore dives, so I do most of my diving on vacation to tropical spots (let's say, every other year or so). I recently went to Big Island and it reignited my desire to get out there and dive more. I'm returning to Big Island in three weeks and was going to purchase my first dive computer to also nudge me into diving more. I already have my own mask/snorkel/fins.

I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and online and narrowed my choices to two options:
1. Garmin G1 ($450, non-solar, on sale currently)
2. Peregrine TX ($700, not on sale and will probably never be on sale).

I looked for both options used, but could only find a G1 for $400 used, at which point I may as well buy new.

I already own and religiously wear a Garmin Instinct 2, which I use for running, gym workouts, hiking, alpinism, sleep tracking etc. I absolutely love it.
From what I know, a Garmin G1 is essentially the same watch with dive capabilities, which sounds nice since I'd be familiar with the operation already. I would need to decide whether to keep or sell my Instinct 2.

The Shearwater needs no mention, of course, and the reason I'd likely opt for the TX is that it's only $150 more than the non-AI version, so would probably keep better resale value, and would give me a path to upgrade in case I ever go AI.
It seems like an all around fantastic watch, but I've read mixed reviews on its compass functionality, and it has no GPS. Otherwise it seems like a much better dive computer, but I'm just worried that since I don't dive that often, it will collect dust.

So I just wanted to ask what more experienced folks here thought of the decision beyond the forum threads that have already been created in the past on this topic, and if the $250 delta is worth it for the Tx.

Thank you so much!

If you already have the Intinct, get the Peregrine. Shearwaters are great dive computers, the display alone is worth it - the only reason to look at Garmin IMO is if you want fitness, health tracking, smartwatch etc., but you have that already.

Fwiw I use a G1 as a backup to my Perdix.

AI is preference. I don't use it (i like the simplicity of an analog gauge) but some people find it indispensable.

This is a tough one. I have both a Garmin and a Shearwater.

I would say that if you already have an Instinct, you probably already know how to use the Descent G1. No real need to keep the Instinct after getting the G1, so you could likely sell that and the G1 will be even cheaper.

Peregrine TX is also a good option. I have a Perdix AI, but would absolutely have a Peregrine TX if they were available when I bought my Perdix. I do use AI, so that was a big part of the consideration for me. For your diving, this would be less of a consideration, especially if you are renting gear. The dive op you use is unlikely to let you mount your transmitter. That leaves the compass as being the main differentiator between the Peregrine and Peregrine TX.

As you mentioned, GPS is one consideration. I use the GPS on my Descent to mark my actual dive location, but I wouldn't say that for most it's a must have. If diving from a boat, you could more or less do the same by simply taking a picture and adding to a dive log that supports that. If doing drift dives, this won't mark your entry and exit. Entry and Exit are supported by Garmin Dive, but not by most other 3rd party dive apps.

Display on the Peregrine is much better. I definitely prefer a full color display (I have a Garmin MK2s instead of G1 for this reason).

While I have a compass on my Perdix, I never use it. I prefer the compass on my Garmin. Partially because my Perdix is my primary and switching to the compass hides some of my important information.

Thank you both so, so much for the feedback and advice, it's very helpful.
I'm still a bit torn, and now I'm reconsidering whether I really need the Peregrine TX vs just the regular Peregrine, especially since I don't have my own regulator, so would need to buy that and a Swift before I can really take advantage of the AI (thanks for pointing that out, Brian, I wasn't aware that dive shops don't like that).
Ideally I'd just find a used, discounted Peregrine and use that for a long time to see how frequently I end up diving. Then I could just sell that and buy an AI capable watch down the line, with less money lost.

Ideally I'd just find a used, discounted Peregrine and use that for a long time to see how frequently I end up diving.
Sounds wise. Plus, who knows what new features or display/battery tech may come out within a couple years.

You gain get good deals on both in classified now, especially the peregrine with the new model out.

I have a Garmin Descent G1 Solar and a Shearwater Perdix. I consider my main computer now to be the G1. Considering you only dive occasionally, the G1 would be a better option I would think.

I bought a G1 Solar few months ago and going to test it in a couple of weeks in Marsa Alam... So, not used underwater so far...
I decided for the G1 because of its relatively small size (it is my backup) and because I'm familiar with the Garmin environment and I like the idea to have all my activities logged in the same place. GPS is a plus I appreciate since I always locate my dives in Maps to see all those red points around the world... 😎😎😎

Said this... Time will tell but I'm a bit concerned about the size of the display.... Probably when diving I will be forced to use the "Big numbers" screen option since after 50s it looks like my arm gets shorter and shorter, and it's difficult to see small stuff when too close to my eyes... 😅😅

Joking apart, the screen is small, but if you are fine with the Instinct no worries...

My two cents
Ciao!
Rick

I am very close to selling perdix 2 to pick up a G1. I dive frequently but am not tech and not sure I like the extra info from AI. I just want to enjoy my dives. Also I use a garmin watch, inreach, and all sonar/charters on boat are garmin. Long battery life and reliability. The perdix 2 is nice though.

Thanks for all the additional food for thought, everyone. I found a local used deal on Craigslist for a Peregrine with ~40 dives on it, bought in 2023, for $375. For that price, thinking I'll just pick it up and use it for a bit and see if I feel I'm missing anything. The seller can meet up this coming Tuesday, so trying to finalize my choice by then.

Did a shore dive locally in San Diego today to prepare for an upcoming trip to the Big Island in two weeks, and was not familiar with the particular site, nor was my dive buddy, who last went to it 7 years ago (I had never been). We swam out and dropped down to what we expected to be a kelp forest, but instead found a kelp shrubbery, with little kelp "bushes", for lack of a better term. It was still nice to be doing an open water dive for the first time in 5 years, but I was wondering if GPS would have allowed me to swim on the surface to an exact drop point before descending. I spoke with the rental gear shop staff, who told me that I don't need GPS to find a specific dive site, that just diving more and becoming familiar with a specific site is sufficient. But I was wondering if anyone uses the GPS on their watch to navigate to a waypoint before descending. That functionality would be one pro of the G1 over the Peregrine that I can see.

And man, after a long time out of the water, staying put at the 5 meter safety stop without moving in the water column with no reference or rope nearby is difficult!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom