Suunto Zoop or Aeris A300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A big difference in algorithms is how quick they give you NDL back if you go up. That is a place where I see a big difference in my old Aeris and my Zoop. Say I am close to NDL on the Zoop. If I go up a few feet at first my Zoop gives me no credit in NDL. By the time that I get say 5 minutes more on the Zoop I will have picked up much more than that on the Aeris although by the time I am at the hangbar both are in hours.

It is my understanding of the Zoop that you will get dinged excessively for exceeding recommended ascent rate and for having a surface interval less than one hour, no matter the circumstances.

It is my understanding of the Zoop that you will get dinged excessively for exceeding recommended ascent rate and for having a surface interval less than one hour, no matter the circumstances.

First of all, the Zoop runs the same Suunto RGBM algorithm as other Suunto computers. People reading this who aren't familiar with Suunto shouldn't get the impression that the Zoop is somehow different in this respect from most other computers in the Suunto line. My wife's Zoop always matched my Suunto D6 exactly.

Second, I have not heard that the algorithm treats "one hour" as any sort of black-and-white threshold. It's reasonable to believe that the longer the surface interval, the greater the NDL the Suunto will compute for the next dive, that's all.

That said, Suunto's RGBM algorithm does seem to give more weight to the length of the surface interval than some other algorithms. As for ascent rate, Suunto's own literature confirms that the algorithm gives ascent rate significant weight, and the computer will recommend a stop if you continuously exceed the recommended ascent rate for more than a few seconds.

Lastly, I believe "dinged" is a loaded word. We similarly hear people use the word "penalized." The risk-tolerant person's "dinged"/"penalized" is the risk-averse person's "buffered." It's not like the folks at Suunto believe you are being deprived of a right to more bottom time; they clearly take the position that their computer is just trying to help keep you safer by giving weight to behaviors that they in their scientific wisdom have judged to add risk. Whether a Suunto really does keep one safer than some other computer is open to debate, and for what it's worth I would not want to have to argue Suunto's side.

First of all, the Zoop runs the same Suunto RGBM algorithm as other Suunto computers. People reading this who aren't familiar with Suunto shouldn't get the impression that the Zoop is somehow different in this respect from most other computers in the Suunto line. My wife's Zoop always matched my Suunto D6 exactly.

Second, I have not heard that the algorithm treats "one hour" as any sort of black-and-white threshold. It's reasonable to believe that the longer the surface interval, the greater the NDL the Suunto will compute for the next dive, that's all.

That said, Suunto's RGBM algorithm does seem to give more weight to the length of the surface interval than some other algorithms. As for ascent rate, Suunto's own literature confirms that the algorithm gives ascent rate significant weight, and the computer will recommend a stop if you continuously exceed the recommended ascent rate for more than a few seconds.

Lastly, I believe "dinged" is a loaded word. We similarly hear people use the word "penalized." The risk-tolerant person's "dinged"/"penalized" is the risk-averse person's "buffered." It's not like the folks at Suunto believe you are being deprived of a right to more bottom time; they clearly take the position that their computer is just trying to help keep you safer by giving weight to behaviors that they in their scientific wisdom have judged to add risk. Whether a Suunto really does keep one safer than some other computer is open to debate, and for what it's worth I would not want to have to argue Suunto's side.

I can't speak for the Zoop directly, but my Gekko and Cobra (before it died) always seemed to be in lock-step with one another ...

and I can speak from experience on how RGBM treats ascent rates; but I've incurred the wrath of my Suunto computers for ascending too quickly and had it impose a longer safety stop .... That's fine with me!

As 50+ year old, occasional diver, who could /should be in better shape, I find Suunto's reputation for a conservative algorithm reassuring. It may or may not be actually reducing my risk of DCS, but I'd rather sacrifice a few minutes on each dive in a given day, or take a bit longer SI and dive another day; than push the envelope and end my dive trip with a chamber ride!

I actually run my Suunto's with Personal Adjustment set to" P1", which is the intermediate setting; so I'm making the already "conservative" algorithm more so :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom