Suunto Zoop 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triple Threat 33T

Registered
Reaction score
Decent computer or is there a better choice in that produce range? I've seen a few negative threads on other Suunto products and now I'm a little concerned.

Thoughts?

The Zoop is basically the same as the Gekko, a very simple reliable computer with a good track record. I have read issues with other models of Suunto but the Gekko/Zoop has not been one of them. I owned for for a few years without issue till I lost it in Indonsia, long embarrassing story. I would recommend a Zoop, yes people talk about Suuntos conservative nature but in reality I've never suffered because of it. If you're on a live-aboard doing multiple dives over multiple days you may notice, but Suuntos are so common, especially SEA, chances are others you're diving with will also be using so moot point.

Great computer!!

I dive Suunto. I have a Vyper Air, great computer, very easy to use.

Which products did you hear bad stuff about? I do not really care for "D" line, but that is mainly personal preference, in what I like. The D's would make great personal watches, but I need something a bit more in my dive computer

I don't know why some people seem to think that a conservative computer algorithm is a bad thing.
Personally I love my Zoop.
It's simple to use, easy to read, and the dive logging software is great.
Add this to the user replaceable battery and you get a great inexpensive package.

I use a Cobra and a Zoop. Both great computers. The Zoop is a proven computer and I think you will like it.

The Zoop is the same as the Gekko, except for the color, and the fact that they have opened it up to allow downloading without a hack. We have a Vyper, 2 Gekkos, and 1 Zoop. All 4 have been trouble free.

I've had a Zoop for just over a year, and really like it. It's easy to change settings and has a good, easy to read display. Did 27 dives over 5.5 days on a liveaboard and never had any issues with running into NDLs (granted, I was using nitrox). For me, the fact that it's known to be conservative is a good thing, as a little extra safety margin is never a bad idea.

James

I dive a Suunto D6 and my dive buddy (wife) dives a Cobra 3, and we're considering getting a Zoop as a backup to carry with us. The idea of all our computers using the same algorithm--which I believe they do--makes sense to us.

We've never taken a DCS hit and always had as much bottom time as we cared to have on the laid-back trips we take, so we have no reason to see the Suunto algorithm as being too conservative. We're big fans of the idea of a somewhat "conservative" algorithm. To me, that's a selling point. To others, it's not desirable. (If you're interested, there's a thread you can search for titled something like "Is Suunto Too Conservative?")

Back
Top Bottom