Suunto Vyper vs. Oceanic VEO 3.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purge

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new dive computer; I've narrowed the search down to either the Sunnto Vyper or the Oceanic VEO 3.0. So any feed back on these two models would be appreciated.

I'm looking to buy a new dive computer; I've narrowed the search down to either the Sunnto Vyper or the Oceanic VEO 3.0. So any feed back on these two models would be appreciated.

You don't give much information about what is important to you. I'm very happy with my Vyper Air, but I really like having integrated tank pressure. I don't think that is available with the Oceanic.

The biggest differences between Suunto & Oceanic is, Suunto's overall tend to be much more conservative than Oceanics. If you want more conservative & safe (less bottom time) then go with the Suunto. If you want less conservatism, (more bottom time) then go with Oceanic. Suunto's run the RGBM (Reduced Gradient Bubble Model), with some minor adjustments,... where as the Oceanic you have your choice of Pelagic or Z+ algorithms. I have owned a Suunto Vyper Air & a HelO2's & currently own an Oceanic VT4 for recreational diving. All were/ are air integrated,... though I tend to use an SPG more than the digital readout. The numbers on the Suuntos may be a tad bigger & easier to read than Oceanic.

The biggest differences between Suunto & Oceanic is, Suunto's overall tend to be much more conservative than Oceanics. If you want more conservative & safe (less bottom time) then go with the Suunto. If you want less conservatism, (more bottom time) then go with Oceanic. Suunto's run the RGBM (Reduced Gradient Bubble Model), with some minor adjustments,... where as the Oceanic you have your choice of Pelagic or Z+ algorithms. I have owned a Suunto Vyper Air & a HelO2's & currently own an Oceanic VT4 for recreational diving. All were/ are air integrated,... though I tend to use an SPG more than the digital readout. The numbers on the Suuntos may be a tad bigger & easier to read than Oceanic.

Have you used the 50% RGBM model it much more liberal. The setting is on the upper end Suunto's.

Have you used the 50% RGBM model it much more liberal. The setting is on the upper end Suunto's.

Yes I have,... against the Predator at VPM-B at conservative setting of 3 (primary computer). I had about 10 min. more deco time on the Suunto HelO2. I have also dove with a buddy who had a Pro Plus 2 against the Suunto Vyper Air. Even at the most liberal personal setting & 50% RGBM, I was 2 min into deco, my buddy was 12 min away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom