Suunto Vyper vs. D3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feign

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone use a D3? There have been some comments about avoiding the small suunto computers - not sure if this applies to this one....I know it is mainly a freedive computer, but it also has gauge mode like the others. I am wanting a dive computer - I thought the Vyper (wrist mount). But, I also do some freediving and thought a computer for this would be cool. One solution was to get the Stinger, that does it all, but the non-user replacable battery and some negative posts on this computer have made me shy away. I thought about just getting a D3 and using it as a bottom timer for scuba in gauge mode or do I need to get both the D3 and the Vyper? The cost of both could be a problem though. Thanks for any input.

They are all fine machines. I decided on the Stinger as it does and will do everything I need.

The display is smaller than most computers but it is very clear and displays all the information I need. Basically the information displayed changes depending on whether you are in deco or on a stop.

I didn't like the idea of a non user replacable battery (altough I think I could get it open if i really wanted too :) ) but mine is three years old with about 100 dives on it and it still shows a full battery. When I eventually do need to spend $40 getting the battery changed I don't think it'll be excessive.

you referred to the D3 as a computer... that its not... strictly a bottom timer only. The vyper is an excellent choice in my opinion.
If you want a dive computer and a free diver computer... and money is an issue I would also consider the mosquito. A few people think the display is too small, but I know quite a few people that are very happy with theirs. You could always eventually add a vyper/vytec and then you would have the mosquito as a fully functional backup and also have it for freediving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom