Suunto Vyper **SERIOUS BUG** in CNS O2 computation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bump it in the light of an experience I just had.
I've been diving my SUUNTO Vyper for some years now and I'd always found it very predictable with just the amount of conservatism that I like to have.
But I wasn't prepared for what happened on a particular dive during my recent holidays. My wife and I got on the boat with the tanks filled to EAN 36 and EAN 40, the plan being to do a first dive to 26m. But there was a forced change of plan and we shifted to a wreck at 32 - 33m.
So as usual I planned on tables and saw the NOAA exposure limits of 150mins at 1.4, 120mins at 1.5 and 45mins at 1.6. Knowing that this was going to be a very effortless dive and our good SACs we planned our bottom time to be 30mins based on our rock-bottom and I accepted the 1.6 limit.
So we started the dive and although I had expected the constant PO2 alarm at around 1.5 I was surprised by the rapid climb of the OLF bar graph.
Both Vypers toxed us out at a 100% OLF after only 22mins. No deco time was still 13 mins and we still had a lot of gas in the tanks.
So without quite understanding we aborted the dive and got back on the boat.
Accessing SB on my Blackberry I found this thread with the explanation about the VYPER's accelerated O2 loading beyond 1.4. Something I wasn't previously aware of.
If I'd known we'd have finished our planned dive normally.
Living & learning.
The profile is attached showing the 100% loading at only 22 minutes into the dive.

Attachments

• Chata-profile.jpg
    Chata-profile.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 109
Just to add some info - the Zoop does the same thing. Did anyone receive a reply from Suunto regarding this? Clearly, it never was a bug, but a security feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom