Suunto Vyper issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcimus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have two older Suunto Vypers, one as a wrist and one as a console. Took both with me to Mexico a few weeks back. Had a few issues with them both:
  • On multi-dive days in salt water, the second dive would be recorded as a much deeper depth than it actually was. In cenotes where we did multiple dives, the second dive would oddly have the actual depth recorded. Example: First dive 35 minutes at max depth 97 feet. Second dive about an hour after this at a max depth around 40 feet, yet the computer recorded it as a max depth of 157 feet and the nitrogen exposure profile showed I should have been bent badly.
  • Temperature on the actual dive profile always read 32 degrees F even though the summary showed what I felt were the correct temperatures, both at max depth and at the surface.
  • All dives were using 32%, so there were no changes other than the water itself. (salt vs. fresh)
Anyone experience these before? Is this a problem with the DM5 software or a problem with the computers. Interestingly enough, both computers recorded the same anomaly with the max depths......so I'm leaning more towards it being a DM5 issue.

Do a search for the recall.
Send it back for a replacement

There is no recall, but there is a settlement in the US only which is what I believe @lionfish-eater refers to. That involved failure of the pressure sensing (depth) module.
Home | Suunto Dive Computer Settlement

I can’t tell from your post - are the problems observed on the Vyper itself, or just the downloaded logs? If just the downloads, search the forum for similar issues. I seem to recall reading one recently, and that it would happen when the unit was on EAN mode but not Air mode. I don’t recall reading a fix other than some suggestions for other software.

Based on my experience with a Suunto Vyper I'd say you're not rinsing the computer well enough after salt water dives.

I had to let mine soak in warm water for 30 minutes to make sure I got all the salt out or I had problems. Would explain why you didn't have the same problem in the cenotes

Could be. We only had cold water rinsing stations at the shop. Guess I could have taken it back to the hotel to rinse off in the sink under warm water. Something to think about for next time if I still have these around next time.

Do I need to have a receipt? I bought them both used.
The settlement was for original owner, US purchases. Not a recall, not worldwide. No harm in your trying though, but don’t get your hopes up.

Still not clear if your issue is with function of the computer while diving, or with your downloaded logs which can mean it is the glitchy desktop software.

I'm thinking it's an issue with the computer itself. The issue was replicated on two different logging systems other than the Suunto DM5.

There's also a problem with temperature readings. Surface readings appear accurate, but under the layer, everything is 32 degrees....no matter where I dive.

Back
Top Bottom