Suunto Vyper Not Downloading Recent Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have attempted multiple downloads. Always the same result, in terms of what dives to download appear. See .jpeg file in original post. Based on that criterion, then, the cable probably is not bad.

Interestingly, I got a reply from Suunto support, who want me to do a data dump and send to them. We'll see what happens there.

Suunto emails to me:

Our apology for the delayed response and for the inconvenience this has caused you.

We would like to inform you that it is recommended to use DM5 for data transfer as the older dive managers are no longer supported. From your message, we understood that new dives are not synced to DM3 nor DM5. There is one factor that would affect this and that is the battery power of your dive computer. If the battery is on low level, though it's detected by DM5 but it's not capable to transfer data anymore. With this, we recommend to replace the battery.

If in case, the battery is okay, we need to gather more details about the issue you've raised for further investigation. It would be of great help if you could provide us device dump from your Suunto Vyper. Here are the processes on how to produce the device dump depending on your operating system:

WINDOWS
To get the device dump on Windows download the tool from https://movescount-dm4.s3.amazonaws.com/DiveDeviceMemoryDumpTool.zip

0. Save this zip file to Desktop
1. Unzip all files in the same directory
2. Close DM5/DM4/Moveslink
3. Connect the dive computer to the computer
4. Click dumpm.exe
5. Watch in the DOS window the dumping progress
6. Send us dump.dat file with Device information

MAC
To get the device dump on OSX 10.10 and newer download the tool from https://movescount-dm4.s3.amazonaws.com/OSXDiveDeviceMemoryDumpTool.zip

0. Save this zip file to Desktop
1. Double click (extract zip) this on Desktop
- a divedumptool subfolder is created
2. Close DM5/DM4/Moveslink if running
3. Connect the dive computer to the computer
4. Go to divedumptool folder
5. Double click divedump.command
- It opens Terminal window.
- a root user password will be required.
6. Dumping process is displayed in the Terminal window
- Ctrl-c is cancel/exit
7. Send us dump.dat file with Device information.

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Sincerely,
Alessa
Suunto Customer Support Team

My reply to Suunto. This interface would not allow me to upload the dump.dat file. I am attaching the screen shot showing the error:
I complied with your instructions below. However, the only application file was dumpm.exe, which I used. I got an error: "Loading event logs...Failed: DEVICE_RESULT_NOT_IMPLEMENTED" It then proceeded to read 8192 bytes from the device. I am attaching:

1. screen shot of the DOS window showing the error
2. dump.dat file generated.
3. suuntoapp.log file also generated.

I look forward to hearing from you on this!

Attachments

• DOS Screen Capture.JPG
    DOS Screen Capture.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 203
Well, I know that this is an old thread, but for any who pick this up, I'm preparing for a dive trip in June and I need to determine whether my dive computer is still usable. To summarize, my 2005 Suunto Vyper worked fine on my last dive trip in June 2017. When I tried to download the dive data, however, I could not get any of my 2017 dives. It showed that the most recent dives were in 2015. After going back and forth with Suunto, they decided that my date had not been reset when I had the battery replaced in 2017 before the trip. FYI, the date shows as accurate.

I have basically 2 questions: (1) does this unsolved memory problem mean that the computer itself is compromised such that I cannot rely on it any more? I'd rather not have to spend $600 on another Vyper, if this one is still usable. (2) What can I do to reset the memory so it will pick up my upcoming dives? Factory reset possible?

As to question 1: It's hard to tell without more information. Does the on-board dive log show your most recent dives? It's sort of ambiguous as in your post as to whether its the DC or the software that is not showing the latest dives. I know that in my case, DM5 would show that it was downloading the latest dives but would not although they were in the DCs logbook function.

Are you attempting to download to DM5 or some other divelog program? If DM5, I would highly recommend downloading Subsurface and try downloading to it. Subsurface is free and downloads from a variety of PDCs, including Suuntos. I was even able to download dives into Subsurface from my old Gekko when that wasn't even possible with Suunto's own software. If it will download into Subsurface, then it is more than likely a DM5 issue since that program is a complete and utter POS and is worse than useless.

As to question 2: I know of no way to do a factory reset on a Suunto. I had asked my Suunto authorized LDS if it were possible and he said no.

Try what I suggest or at least report any further information requested. Hopefully, it's not a computer issue as much as it is a dive log software issue.

Thanks for the reply. I did try those other apps back last summer when I first detected the problem. It made no difference, and arguably gave worse results then using Suunto Divemanager. As I said back then, I was not able to pick up any of my most recent Dives. The most recent by date were in 2015. According to Suunto, that was because the date had not been set on the dive computer when the battery was changed in 2017. However, upon checking, it did appear that the date was properly set. So, I do not have a great deal of confidence in what Suunto told me. And of course, we are now back to the basic question, which is whether I can safely use this Vyper computer, and as a subsidiary matter whether it will properly record my upcoming Dives.

Yeah, Suunto tech support is almost as useless as DM5. At least, from experience, anyway. When I had a problem with my Vyper Air which was still under warranty, I went back and forth with them for nearly 4 months. Finally took it to my LDS I bought it from and within 1½ months, I had a new Vyper Novo.

Unfortunately, the only way to tell if it will work properly or not is to dive with it. I see you are in Tennessee and know that the water in any quarries you may have access to are still going to be cold this time of year. But if it were me, I believe I'd still get to one as soon as possible to check it out even if I had to rent a thicker wetsuit than what I have. I have dove in March in water that was 52° at the surface and down to 47° at 75 FFW wearing a 3mm Henderson Thermaxx over a 2mm Firefleece. Yeah, it was cold, but by taking our time to descend, we somewhat acclimated ourselves to it. I don't have any desire to do it again, but I believe before I would head off on a dive trip unsure of my DC, I certainly would do it.

But being completely honest, it sounds like it might not be reliable on your trip. In my experience, when a Suunto starts acting oddly, it's time to replace it.

Man, I'm afraid that last paragraph tells the tale. I mean, I've had this dive computer since so far 2005, so I cannot exactly say that I haven't gotten good use out of it. But, boy, do I hate the concept of shelling out potentially $600 for a replacement Vyper. By the way, what do you think of that Suunto Zoop computer? It looks like it does most of what my 2005 Vyper does. Comments?

I don't have any experience with the Zoop Novo, but my wife has the older style Zoop, which functions the same as my older Gekko. The Zoop is a great little computer and I just saw an unused one on ebay today for just over $200.00. But from what I can tell of the Zoop Novo, it is pretty much the same thing as the Vyper Novo that I have except for the wireless air integration. If that isn't important to you, then it should serve you quite well.

One thing to consider is that the older style Zoop should use the same download cable you use with your Vyper, while the Zoop Novo uses a different style. I don't think the Novo comes with the download cable so would have to be purchased separately.

Last edited:
Just an update here: I tried downloading dives onto a different computer, in this case my home laptop. Once I get the wonky cable to seat properly, it will read up to dive 17 and then crap out. It then shows NO divelog data on the "Select Divel ogs you want to transfer to SDM" window. This is a bit of a deteriorating change, in that the last time I tried this procedure -- last Summer -- I got some dive log data to transfer. Just not the recent dive activity. Now, nothing. Assuming that this anomaly suggests a deterioration, it is additional evidence to get a new computer.

Now, as to the Zoop, I don't need wireless air integration, so that works. What about ability to download dive log data? Ah, your second paragraph answers that. Do the Zoop Novos come with a cable, or is that separate, if you know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom