Suunto temperature error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the computer is inside of a rubber housing, on the wrist or on a console, it takes time for the water flow or tempature change to take place. On a wrist mount on my arm with a 7mm suit it takes quite a while for the temp to change, probably no water flow by the sensor, I can guess a lot faster than it can respond and give me a reading. The ones on an SPG are way faster.

Bob

Cheap micro controllers often come with a temperature sensor 'for free'. This saves some external circuitry and board space. Unfortunately they are a bit poor. Better than nothing though.
this temperature sensor is for the micro controller itself, for protection against overheat.

this temperature sensor is for the micro controller itself, for protection against overheat.

You are thinking about big processors like those found in a pc. Those use so much power they get hot. The micro controllers used in an embedded application like a dive computer have to get by with very little power and so virtually no heating, otherwise the battery life would be rather poor.

Here is an example

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/...ical/document/application_note/DM00035957.pdf

You are thinking about big processors like those found in a pc. Those use so much power they get hot. The micro controllers used in an embedded application like a dive computer have to get by with very little power and so virtually no heating, otherwise the battery life would be rather poor.

Here is an example

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/...ical/document/application_note/DM00035957.pdf
and on this one https://www.silabs.com/Support Documents/TechnicalDocs/EFM32GG395.pdf, it's a protection

you're right, i'm right :D

Suunto computes with a deeper depth (pressure) than the displayed one (see manual)

Are you saying that Suunto somehow calculates NDL's using a deeper depth (pressure) than actual? Or, do they display a shallower depth than actual? Can you tell us where that is in the manual?

Are you saying that Suunto somehow calculates NDL's using a deeper depth (pressure) than actual? Or, do they display a shallower depth than actual? Can you tell us where that is in the manual?

I can't find where it states that a higher pressure reading is used for the internal calculations. Suunto does document that the oxygen calculations in the computer are made with an oxygen percentage of 1% + set O2%.

Suunto computes with a deeper depth (pressure) than the displayed one (see manual)

Suunto does document that the oxygen calculations in the computer are made with an oxygen percentage of 1% + set O2%.

Does Suunto make any calculations based on correct information? -- You guys are scaring me! -- I'm going back to tables!

Suunto does document that the oxygen calculations in the computer are made with an oxygen percentage of 1% + set O2%.

If you tell the computer you have 32% that could be between 32.0 and 32.9. So it uses 33 for CNS and MOD calcs but 32 for deco calcs.

I expect all brands do this.

If you tell the computer you have 32% that could be between 32.0 and 32.9. So it uses 33 for CNS and MOD calcs but 32 for deco calcs.

I expect all brands do this.

Suunto is the only brand I have used that uses a higher O2 value for MOD and CNS (OLF on the Suunto) than what I actually input. It is fully documented in the user manual, so it is not a big deal once you know about it. It can cause some confusion during a Nitrox class when the tables have the MOD for 32% at 111 fsw and the student's Suunto is showing a MOD of 107 fsw.

I have yet to find any description where the Suunto uses a higher pressure for NDL calculations than the one displayed as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom