Suunto temperature data

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
Just got back from diving Blue Stone in NC and downloaded by dive info. On a dive to 73', the actual water temp was 50 deg F indicated by my cobra at depth. After downloading the dives (10 sec sampling interval) the same dive indicated the temp at max depth for that dive was something like 75 deg F. Any ideas on whats going on with that? I know for a fact the water temp was in the low 50's at that depth. On other dives it also noted that the temp at the max depth was often higher than the temp at the end of the dive which I know is false.

Aloha jamiei,
I have a Cobra and the temp is off by about 2 degrees. The water here is about 79 now and all my dives show 81 on my Cobra. Yours is significantly off. If it is still under warranty you may want to return it, but then again so should I as wrong temp is wrong temp. My first Cobra crapped out after about two months. It was off by 15 feet on depth readings and so was all the data. Not a good thing when you are at 90 feet and the computer says 75 feet. I sent it back to LP and they immediately replaced it. I will live with the 2 degree temp dif as it is not important to me. I correct it manually on my home computer before I print out the dive for my log.
I have read other posts about this temp problem with Suunto computers. Personally I feel that if Suunto can't furnish an accurate temp then they should leave it out of their products altogether.
:shades:

I think I've read your posts on this before, but my problem is not with the suunto reading the wrong temp. My problem is that when the dive is downloaded, it shows the wrong temp. During the dive, the cobra showed 50 deg at depth. The problem is that at the max depth, the suunto had no adjusted for the temp yet and read 64 deg (I checked) at 73'. After a few minutes it "realized" that it was 50 degrees and caught up but I was hovering at around 70' then so it didn't take this temp into consideration. After just testing it in the tub, it appears that it takes an awefully long time for the temp reading to display the actual temperature... much longer than the 10 sec sampling rate. I take it this is because the temp sensor is insulated inside the cobra case. I wonder if a couple of carefully placed holes in the rear cover would help the exchange of water to help speed up this process. I'll try it with the cover off the cobra. And for those that love to be picky... I don't mean the battery cover... just the rear casing that holds the cobra.

I use a backup depth guage and timer and the depth is right on.

Back
Top Bottom