Suunto Stinger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heath74

Reaction score
Hey Guys I just wanted to know what your thoughts and opinions on the Suunto Stinger. All the different reviews I've read give it high praise. Leisure Pro has it for $475.00 and there is some new ones on e-bay going for around $350.00. So guys what do you think?

Thanks,

If not for the high price, I would gladly get a Stinger. Am currently going for one from Sunnto that offers the same functions as the Stinger but not as costly, the mosquito. Most people would agree that it is a rather good dive computer, if you can afford to pay the price. Some of my friends go for an integrated one and have found the Cobra an excellent dive com as well.

The stinger is great. I have the titanium version, but for most its too expensive. Its amazing how much that little thing does. The newer mosquito is fantastic as well, but doesn't have all the toys that the stinger does.

Whatever you do make sure that if you buy one off the net, especially leisure pro, make sure it has a US warranty. Leisure Pro is famous for selling stuff that is not intended for the US. And make sure that it is new because the batteries have to be replaced my Suunto, it cannot be done at a shop.

I use Stinger after a long discussion with some fella about which type of Suunto dive comp I must buy. But then, I am very satisfied with it. Basically mostly Suunto dive comp products have the same basic features those are Air & EAN calculation.
Its calculation is quite more conservative rather than other computer I know such as Dive Rite and Aladin Uwatec.
My decision to buy Stinger is more on the fashion :wink: , basically it has almost the same features with Mosquito and Vyper.
But a fella suggest that the best computer should be Aladin, forget the type but the one which has connection to First Stage and calculate the breathing rate as well. The calculation is more precise, I guess, since it will affect the amount of nitrogen your body absorb. However, the price is quite expensive, that's why I did not buy it. :(

My first dive on my Stinger that I got from Diveinn, the computer freaked out. At one point I was getting out of the water and it kicked into the 3rd dive, saying I was currently at 80 ft and was at 104. After that it just died.

I've spent the last 3 days trying to get in touch with Diveinn with no luck yet.

People like GUE's Jarrod Jablonski and Andrew G. from Fifth Dimension use it and prefer it in gauge mode to the conventional Uwatec bottom timers... and knowing where and how they dive, I'll say thats a decent indicator of its hardiness and reliability.

As far as being a dive computer, my buddy uses it and its fine, conservative but that's a good thing. They retail for US$350 where I am.

Hey guys... Im wondering if anyone out there is familiar with the Stinger History mode. I used it for the second day this weekend, and everything worked ok, except the His mode. It updated the hours and number of dives. However, I exceeded my max depth by 1 foot this time (Old max depth was 71 feet, this time was 72 feet) and the history still shows 71 feet. The dive log shows 72 feet, but the history still shows the older max depth of 71. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I have different experience about Stinger. About 2 months ago I went to 59 meters, during the dive it shows 59.1 meter, but in the log I saw 58.9 meter.

Erwin

And also, last week I dove Gili Selang, Bali, the bottom temperature is 23 C, but in my log 24 C.

Erwin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom