Suunto Stinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kedar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm newbie to this group and need some help from the veterans here.

I was considering purchasing a dive computer and have narrowed my choice to the Stinger.

Questions:
(1) Which option is preferrable? Stainless steel or rubber strap?
(2) What place has the best price with a USA warranty? (e.g. leisurepro does not provide Suunto warranty; it has its own)

If you've purchased a Stinger in the near past, please let me know so that I can make the right decision.

Thanks a bunch!

Kedar
ps: I'm in N. California.

Kedar once bubbled...
(1) Which option is preferrable? Stainless steel or rubber strap?

I've got the rubber strap. I'm not sure how adjustable the stainless steel strap is, and if you'd have a problem wearing it on your bare wrist vs. a thin wetsuit vs. a thicker or a drysuit. If it's adjustable, it's probably fine, but if it's not you might want to look at the rubber strap.

as far as durability of the rubber strap, I've not had any problems [1 1/2 years and 126 dives]....

Thanks Jeff!

I had the same concern. The SS option also has a rubber strap but I don't know if it has the extender.

Is it easy to switch the bands yourself?

Also...where did you pick yours up and how much did you pay?

Thanks!
Kedar

Kedar once bubbled...
Is it easy to switch the bands yourself?

i've not tried, but it looks like it's the same sort of pin design as any ol' watch. The rubber is a little thicker so it might be a little on the annoying side. I'm sure it's a lot like a watch band... you can do it, but it's annoying enough that you don't want to do it all the time.

Also...where did you pick yours up and how much did you pay?

I got mine at DiveInn for something like $600 [I don't remember for sure]. The first one flooded on the first dive and I had to send it back for the dry version. It wasn't the most pleasant experience getting it sent back and replaced, but after a few e-mails and a week or so turn around once I convinced them it wasn't normal, they took it back.

So the only warranty I have on it is through DiveInn... if you care to have someone you can take it to and complain/question/etc... you definately should look around for a local source. I don't recall normal pricing, but $800 seems to stick in my mind]

The pins work exactly like the pins on a normal watch.

Although the rubber strap on mine worked fine, I replaced it with an adjustable webbing strap which goes under the watch and over both pins. This has the benefit that if on pins should break, the watch will still be held on your wrist by the other pin.
With the rubber and stainless straps, if one pin goes, the watch is gone.

Can't comment on price as I bought mine in South Africa.

The only way to get the FACTORY warranty is to purchase from your local dive shop. US Divers does not support or condone online or mail-order sales and will provide no warranty support.

Buy it from LeisurePro and use their warranty if you have a problem... I've never had a problem with them, and many people here have reported being pleased with their service.

... from SimplyScuba for <$350 each (sorry Jeff :D )... warranty... I don't need no stinkin' warranty! But if we had needed it SS would have taken care of us.

I didn't like the rubber strap because of the issue of loosing the watch if a pin popped out.

So I bought a couple of Waterborne watchbands and took them apart... threw the webbing away and cut a longer piece of webbing from the tail end of a motorcycle tie down strap (you can buy 1" webbing but I didn't want to drive into town.) Put the Waterborne hardware on the longer strap and we were good to go.

I wear my Stinger all the time so when it is just around my bare wrist I double the strap back and secure it with the d-rings.

I'd take a picture of my wrist but the women would faint and the men would curse... so you'll just have to use your imagination.

SA-Diver or UP,

Can you guys send me a picture of the webbing?

Thanks,
Kedar

The stainless steel strap has an extender on it. When diving wet, I wear it normally; when dry, I simply snap open the extender and then put it on. Pretty neat.

..it's NoJoyRandy.

Using the waterborne or similar strap the pins have no pressure on them even when the band is pull tight. With a standard band, rubber or SS... when you tighten the band it pulls directly on the pins. When we first got ours I gave a little tug on the rubber watch band and the pin popped right out. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom