Suunto SME and SME/ML DIY battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster-K

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To all of you out there that still own one of these little gems: using a home-made wooden jig to hold the body in place without harming it and using a strap-wrench to loosen the "lid" I was able to open the little sucker. Once the lid is off, remove the small piece of foam beside the display to reach the batteries, or you may also remove the 4 screws that hold the display in place for better access. Takes two 1.5V #357 watch-type batteries available at most specialty electronics stores for around $1.50us/each.

*Notes: prior to removing the lid, mark alignment points on both the case and the lid for proper tightening when finished, and don't forget to smear a bit of silicone grease around the o-ring prior to reinstalling the lid for a good seat without binding the o-ring.

Attachments

• step_01.jpg
    step_01.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,163
  • step_02.jpg
    step_02.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • step_03.jpg
    step_03.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,254
I really appreciate your post on this subject. I've been looking everywhere for exactly this information as I luv my little SME and don't want to replace it.

How much pressure did you have to apply using the strap wrench? Was it is a singular motion/direction counter-clockwise?

Yes, counter-clockwise. How much pressure needed will depend upon how long it has been since last opened and the amount of corrosion present. Also, the o-ring applies pressure to the "lid", and can make it quite stubborn. The trick is to use a sturdy jig to hold the base securely in place.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the great info. I just came in to possession of one of these and need to change the battery. However, I can't see any references to a replacement O ring? Any tips? Just find one that matches it? Thanks

No tips on a new o-ring. I just screwed mine off, put the battery in, and used some silicon to screw it tight. Worked good @ 100ft.

Thanks for the great info. I just came in to possession of one of these and need to change the battery. However, I can't see any references to a replacement O ring? Any tips? Just find one that matches it? Thanks

Many larger home improvement type stores will carry them. Or, try a Google search for "o rings", plenty of suppliers to choose from.

Thanks for the tip! I was about to send in mine to the factory for new batts. Now I'll have mine fixed in a jiffy thanks to you. Have a cold one on the house.

A buddy of mine on Maui just spent $400 on a slick new dive computer and mailed me his old SME that no longer worked. I cracked it open, installed $5 worth of batteries and now I have a spare. Stoked!

Assume both batteries face same direction (negative side backing to outer frame)? Tech at local dive shop took my SME apart but didn't have matching new batteries so he left the rest up to me. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom