Suunto SK8 bungee mount advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An older thread but I just picked up a Suunto SK8 bungee mount compass. So far not overly impressed with the bungee mounting system. I was hoping it would be a quick adjust from everything from bare skin to a 7mm. Wrong. I’m thinking about just putting a loop of Dacron cord on it and securing it to brass bolt snap. If I need it I’ll pull it from a pocket and clip it off. Otherwise it can stay in the pocket. Am I misguided in my line of thinking? Hindsight has me thinking I should have gotten a standard wrist strap that I could simply affix to whatever I am diving.

The side window to read the heading is rather inconvenient in its use as it requires the arm to be perfectly perpendicular and there is no luber line to read from on the side window. Would be much easier to simply hold it in hand at a 45 like I would a normal compass.

I got mine as “used like new in box” for a considerable discount from new. I’m guessing the previous owner got frustrated at the inconvenience of using the bungee and just decided to punt. Overall the compass itself is of decent quality, smooth rotation and easy to view. It’s just the bungee system is a PITA.

I prefer to wear mine on the back of my left hand, that way it doesn't really matter what suit I am wearing. My body position in the water is pretty consistent with what is displayed in my avatar, so the my compass on my left hand and vyper air on my right forearm, between the two its like I my forearms act like a "dashboard".

The easiest way to achieve what I have going with the compass is to have a bungee loop for my wrist and another to slip over my index and middle fingers...this aligns the sight window such that it is fairly direct with my line of site with my standard body position.

While it works well for me, I totally understand how it might not work for you or others.

If you want to sell your bungee mounted SK8 shoot me a private message through the board.

Hope you figure out a solution that works for you.

-Z

upload_2021-9-6_8-38-36.jpeg

Here’s the link to the other method:

I dive with a suunto vyper air in a bungee mount and have it set up simiilar to the video. I have it sized for my drysuit sleeve so I dont need to pull the loop over unless I am using my wetsuit. It works very well setup that way.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom