SUUNTO Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing worse than their reputation is their customer service. It just doesn’t get any worse. It’s so bad, it’s unbelievable.

It's an extremely hazardous choice for a manufacturer too ignore an issue and or put the onus on the buyer when something goes wrong with their product.

Canon miniDV cameras about ten years ago had defective tape shuttles and they denied there was an issue. Just had to throw it away.
American Standard water heaters have defective burner assemblies and the warranty parts don't work either. Tossed dozens of those.
A whole street of Goodman AC compressor units went bad about ten years ago. That was a $15000 fail.
I've got a whole list, unfortunately.

Did these companies improve and fix their products? I will never know as they are dead to me. I don't want to get burned again. I will not use them again in my lifetime and won't recommend them. Incidents like these can cause companies to lose customers for life. They need to get out in front of it publicly unless they intended for their product to function like that. In that case, everyone is on notice that this is the product they are selling and offering for sale.

Firestone tires went through a whole debacle with Ford when the tires were spec'd by Ford for the wrong inflation pressure. Firestone had to rely on it's Bridgestone name to sell tires. However Firestone redoubled and now builds really good tires. The same can be said for Audi that put the gas and brake pedals to close together years ago. Hyundai has bad problems with engine castings. To counter it they offer a 100K warranty.

I have spent a lot of time following this and trying to think it through from all angles. As a Suunto dealer, I also want to be comfortable with doing right by my customers that are shopping for a new dive computer to purchase today.

So for the looking forward aspect of buying/owner a new Suunto computer, here are couple of thoughts that may make it more palatable:
  1. The warranty on the pressure sensor is now 5 years on all dive computers, rather than the previous shorter period (2 years was it?)
  2. I am also told, assuming my question was understood and answered correctly, that ALL current Suunto dive computers have modular sensors that can be replaced if defective rather than trashing the device, and that they all use the same module so there is minimal likelihood of rapid obsolescence of that part. To me, that means that even if something happens down the road, there are more and better options than on the sealed units from the past.
Now, regarding the pressure sensor trouble in the settlement - I also have the distinct impression that there is an unusual issue that has not been acknowledged, and there has been nothing forthcoming on any part or design change that would suggest it won't happen on future products.

But... and this is a very big "but"... I don't know how much of the problem dogging Suunto is an actual product problem and how much is purely perception! I have never found any figures on market share for dive computers, or for anything else in the dive industry. Let alone failure and defect rates on computers and other equipment. I have no doubt that Suunto has a significant piece of the market place, both for new sales and for devices still in use by the public. Just for the sake of example, let's say that 50% of the computers that are out there now, being taken for a dive or two at least once per year, are Suunto brand. If 50% of the failures of those "in use" computers occur on the Suunto brand, then that rate is not out of line but is instead proportionate. But from a pure volume perspective, we quickly come to believe that every Suunto computer is ready to fail tomorrow.

So it is possible that Suunto's pressure sensor problem is at least as much a result of their failure to inform and manage their message as it is the item itself. I am not saying that I think that is definitely the case, just that I think it is possible and wish I had the all those other competitor sales and defect numbers for comparison.

So it is possible that Suunto's pressure sensor problem is at least as much a result of their failure to inform and manage their message as it is the item itself.
Either way, the problem exists, and they need to own it.

I have spent a lot of time following this and trying to think it through from all angles. As a Suunto dealer, I also want to be comfortable with doing right by my customers that are shopping for a new dive computer to purchase today.

So for the looking forward aspect of buying/owner a new Suunto computer, here are couple of thoughts that may make it more palatable:
  1. The warranty on the pressure sensor is now 5 years on all dive computers, rather than the previous shorter period (2 years was it?)
  2. I am also told, assuming my question was understood and answered correctly, that ALL current Suunto dive computers have modular sensors that can be replaced if defective rather than trashing the device, and that they all use the same module so there is minimal likelihood of rapid obsolescence of that part. To me, that means that even if something happens down the road, there are more and better options than on the sealed units from the past.
Now, regarding the pressure sensor trouble in the settlement - I also have the distinct impression that there is an unusual issue that has not been acknowledged, and there has been nothing forthcoming on any part or design change that would suggest it won't happen on future products.

But... and this is a very big "but"... I don't know how much of the problem dogging Suunto is an actual product problem and how much is purely perception! I have never found any figures on market share for dive computers, or for anything else in the dive industry. Let alone failure and defect rates on computers and other equipment. I have no doubt that Suunto has a significant piece of the market place, both for new sales and for devices still in use by the public. Just for the sake of example, let's say that 50% of the computers that are out there now, being taken for a dive or two at least once per year, are Suunto brand. If 50% of the failures of those "in use" computers occur on the Suunto brand, then that rate is not out of line but is instead proportionate. But from a pure volume perspective, we quickly come to believe that every Suunto computer is ready to fail tomorrow.

So it is possible that Suunto's pressure sensor problem is at least as much a result of their failure to inform and manage their message as it is the item itself. I am not saying that I think that is definitely the case, just that I think it is possible and wish I had the all those other competitor sales and defect numbers for comparison.

Either way, their customer service model is abysmally bad. Compare to Shearwater, Scubapro. Mares, Sherwood or Cressi. I am reluctant to recommend their products knowing how difficult it is to reach a SUUNTO CSR. And forget about getting help from Huish.

Thanks for the input and added info. For the record, I've owned 6 Suunto computers. One has failed for a pressure sensor. Although my Companion had bricked itself when the battery died. I know of no one in my dive club who has had a failure. A friend's orca edge died a couple years back.

The only thing worse than their reputation is their customer service. It just doesn’t get any worse. It’s so bad, it’s unbelievable.

I did get some good customer service from Suunto, but then again, the company is a two hours drive away. Things tend to get complicated when a cheap(ish) device needs to be transported across half the world to get serviced. That does not mean the product is **** (poop). Sometimes a component is bad, but how can you avoid that?

I had a Suunto Vyper for nine happy years and I loved it for its price and features (but not for its locking algorithm; please recalculate), and when I lost it in a cave, I got a new one. The new device failed after 20 dives due to a bad pressure sensor (manufactured by whom?). The device was repaired and it has been working reliably ever since (fingers crossed). All tech companies will encounter problems with bad components.

I do not love the Suunto Vyper, it's not a tech computer, but it is a dependable product for many sorts of diving.

Some people claim that the RGBM algorithm(s) are bad as they react to the actual dive beeing done (e.g. bouncing). Hence, they are not "predictable". The algorithm adjusts the deco according to the dive. This can be a "problem" if there is a limited amount of gas for decompression. But should we really skip decompression stops because the dive turned out to be different? Or should we have more reserves? In my opinion: The algorithm (as long as it does not lock) is good (albeit maybe too conservative for young healthy slim athletes) and you should just carry more reserve gas.

Disclaimers:
This post does not discuss communication or customer relations.
I am not affiliated with Suunto in any way.

@Fragola apologies, I should have been clearer. I found nothing about a current class action either, so I hit "Start my class action" and filled in the details, and received the following reply (personal info removed):
You have been added to our list of potential claimants for this class action. You can expect that we will keep you informed of any major development in this case, such as your right to make a claim in the event of a settlement or a successful judgment. Nevertheless, we encourage you to check our website every 3 to 6 months for any updated information that has been posted online about this case.​
The Canadian class action lawsuit closes at the end of this month, if you haven't done so already.

Wow, I already got my payout from the class action lol.

With how much my discounted dive computer was, I pretty much got back the price I paid for it. Not bad for "renting" it for several years I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom