Suunto Or Uwatec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would skip the Uwatec Smart line, but the Pro Ultra is OK. Suunto's are good too. Suunto has over half the dive computer market worldwide right now.

I like the Suunto Vyper. I have it in a wrist mount, and it works fine for me. Also, PC downloadable, and has backlighting and large display.

Another vote for Suunto Vyper. Great manual, easy to use, user friendly battery change, good software.

Also the big screen is big plus for me, the elastic wrist mount, another plus.
It response fast (faster then my loaned mares1).
I like a lot the uwatec infra red sensor to download your dive profile with a 4sec sampling time with 99 hours with 99 logs.
I like the software, for your PC or PDA.... i love this.

So, i am very happy with my DC, but i have to commit, it's expensive!!!
And you have to like the MB level and i like it :)

And what about the recall, i really didn't bother about that. The problem was that is stopped functioning, not fun for when you are diving, but my uwarec isn't my primary depthmeter.

LUBOLD8431:
I like the Suunto Vyper. I have it in a wrist mount, and it works fine for me. Also, PC downloadable, and has backlighting and large display.

Ditto, tritto, or whatever number we are up to for Vyper votes....

I love mine on the wrist.

Hi Kyriakos

I have done about 600 dives on Uwatec computers (Digital Depth Gauge *, Aladin, Aladin Air X & now the Aladin Air Z 02) , and must say I think UWATEC makes great dive computers. I really like Air-Intergarted feature and the large backlit displays on the Uwatec DCs compared to Suunto. On the downside I must mention that the batteries on the newer Uwatec DCs, can not be user replaced ($$$). If you opt for the new Smart models, you get the added benefit of not requiring the Memo-Mouse to download the data from the DC (Saves you some $$$)
What ever make or type of DC you decide on, whether it be wrist mount, console, AI, or AI with transmitter, make sure it does nitrox.

;-> gjw

I have a uwatec ultra pro. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not tel you the water temp unless you plug it in a computer and its a bit big! other thatn that I like it.

My first computer was the Uwatec Aladin Pro - large screen, basic operation, easy to understand, didn't drag me out of the water early -crappy download mechanism but I can live with that. I think the smart series gets over that.

My second computer was the Suunto Vytec - easy gas mix management, great PC interface, good software - annoying buttons.

Both good computers for recreational diving.

No help other than to say that choosing either one based on review of what they do and your needs will not be a mistake.

I have the Suunto Stinger and Uwatec Smart Pro. I like the Stinger because I can wear it as a watch and if I go for an unexpected dive I've got it whereas the Uwatec 'lives' with all my dive gear. However, when I'm diving I use the Uwatec all the time underwater as the screen is much easier to see and it reacts so much faster to what I'm doing than the Stinger, such as ascending too quickly. However, I tend to watch the Stinger on the safety stops as the countdown timer makes it easier.

The difference between the algorithms is amazing though as I managed to go into deco on a 2nd 80' (25m) dive according to the Stinger making me do an 8 minute safety stop whereas the Uwatec said no stop was required. I was told that the algorithm in the Suunto is based on fairly large ranges so that no deco time at 75' remains constant until you reach 40' whereas the Uwatec slides as your depth changes.

As I dive to the computers and not the tables, I chose to have two, just in case. It also gave me a 'justification' to buy two bits of gadgetry.

My dive buddy and I dive with different dive computers. I have a Suunto Vyper and he has the Uwatec SmartPro. Both worked almost identically in terms of no deco limits in our recent diving -- except in one case recently on a dive to 28 meters. We both did a too rapid ascent from 2 meters, exceeding the computers' recommended rate (we printed the dive profile later to prove that was the problem). Absolutely, not a good practice . My computer beeped, so did his. Then the computers behaved very differently.

After 1 minute at the surface, his shut down for 24 hours, while mine registered the rapid ascent with a "slow" warning. We both agreed to stay out of the water for 24 hours, since his computer was non-functional (not even guage mode) and his manual advised it. But when we checked the dive profile, the only error was the rapid ascent, we were very conservative otherwise.

To my thinking, this is a major defect for the Uwatec. It should not shut down in the event of a diver error, at least give me guage mode in case I have an emergency. It is a tool for the diver to use, not a God to be followed. But that's how Uwatecs work, no matter what I think.

The second major issue I have with them is you have to send them to a factory repair site for battery change. Again, never mind what the customer wants, Uwatec knows better. With my Suunto, batteries are available everywhere, and I can change them and get back to diving. I carry the lithium battery and O-ring in my save a dive kit because I dive in remote locations.

Uwatec makes a good case for their more conservative algorithms, which take microbubbles into account. In practice, we noticed no difference except for the shutdown. It's up to you to decide if you want to use a computer as a tool, or have it be your master. As for me, I would never use an Uwatec even if it was given to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom