Suunto Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbo

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody come across a Suunto Octopus II? I'm a newbie diver and am doing some looking around. My local dive shop is recommending it but I can't find it anywhere else and it's not on the Suunto site. I know that a comp isn't a table replacement but hey, as an engineer I'm obligated to shop for cool electronic gadgets. Any thoughts?

Hello Jimbo, welcome to the scubasource family, we're glad to have you aboard!

Here is a LINK you can check out to look at a Suunto Octopus II

If you're looking for a wrist mounted computer, I'd recommend the Suunto Vyper, which is a very sweet unit.

I have a Suunto Octopus myself and would highly reccomend it. I Have done almost 100 dives in varied conditions and depths with it and no complaints so far.

It is a lot more conservative than the other makes, it gives me less bottom time on repetitive dives than my Daccor one, but added safety is always a good thing!

Suunto's are manufactured in Finland (like Nokia cell phones) and are not as common as other brands in the USA, but dont let that put you off!

Hi by the way - I just joined this site!!!

Tami

Thanks Tami. I too just joined. Thanks for the advice. any quirks with the Suunto? I mean, considering it's limtied functions, any prob's?

Vyper...naa too big and clumsy go for the stinger heh :)

Make sure you get a good price, I believe the older Suunto models are being phase out, they have disappeared from Suunto's website.

If anyone is interested I did a review of the new Suunto Mosquito.

Ralph

Maybe this is why I can't find it posted anywhere. it looks pretty basic and I certainly don't want to buy a discontinued computer. Any other suggestions for a "newbie" to use as a computer. Hey don't get me wrong, I'd love to buy a Viper, but the price scares me away.

Discontinued computers can be very good deals. The older Suunto computers have been used safely by thousands of divers. Until recently the Tusa IQ-400 (a Suunto Favor computer) was my primary computer. The Tusa IQ-400 was selling at Leisure Pro for $150.

For a table comparing the features of the new and old Suunto models see:
http://www.suunto.com/worlds/diving/img/suunto_techfeat.pdf

Ralph

You can find the Octopus II at DiveInn.com for $114. Or you can get a whole new console with SPG, Octopus II and Compass for $219

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom