Suunto Ocean Unboxing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnNumberz

Registered
Reaction score
Picked up a Suunto Ocean to see if it can replace my apple watch for day to day and allow me to use my daily driver watch to be a daily diver...

be kind, i'm new to this youtube thing!

I have seen this watch today for the first time, including a tankpod. It is quite small. It is nice that you can see where you have been diving (it tracks the way you take).
But it can only be used to 60m (7 bars). So then it is a very limited watch with dive options. This means it is no technical dive computer, even not if you can choose multiple gases etc. I am also curious if there is no '505' if you do something that the watch does not expect as this is a real problem with other Suunto computers.

I have also seen the Garmin Descent, and what I like from Garmin is that it also can be used as technical dive computer including trimix and ccr.
And above water, you can use Garmin Coach. You get training programs for a goal you want to set with 'a real person'. And if you don't use the Coach, you get training suggestions. With Suunto you have to pay another 290 to get this on your watch.

My Garmin descent has been to 70m depth on my wrist in warm waters to see if it was still tracking my heartrate. But this will not be possible with the Suunto one.

Another thing I am worried about is the depth sensor. I have a D5 which showed me within 2 years after purchase UNDER water DURING a dive a 'fatal system error, contact your Suunto dealer', something I have never seen with HW or Shearwater. I got a new one under warrenty, but the did not give me a new screenprotector, so they want to save every cent they can.

The thing I do absolutely not like from the Garmin Descent is that it is quite hard to get it from dive modus to running or so. You need to do the manual, this means it is not really user friendly. Even not if you already have a Descent. I have tried to get the demo model in a shop to running suggestions.

So if there was a watch not too expensive that can mainly do running/cycling training including suggestions and also can work till 100m as divewatch (air/nitrox, so for real deep dives it will act as a bottomtimer, I don't want to see a '505' then every computer or watch is a nogo), I would think about it.

But at the moment I stick with Shearwater for diving and Garmin as a sportswatch.

I hope that in the futere there will be a great sportwatch which can be used as real dive watch without complex user manuals. So like a normal Garmin that you can choose diving like you can diving running/cycling/walking and then can put in parameters. And if you forget that it starts diving as soon as you are under 1m. with the last used parameters. But at surface that you don't see any tank symbols anymore and that it looks like a normal watch again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom