Suunto Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazz once bubbled...

So would you recommend that I keep a spare battery when I leave for my dive holiday? How long can a battery last?

How much does the interface cost in the US? I am still deciding if I need one.

:)

A spare battery would be a good idea. I have a Suunto Vyper, and the battery in it will last up to three years. If you dive a lot, you'll probably get 1-2 years out of it, realistically. I would assume the Mosquito battery life is similar. There is always a chance that a bad battery will cause the unit to lose power earlier than that.

The interface is around $125 USD. There are numerous plans to build one yourself if you are at all handy with electronics.

In regard to your friend's comment, this computer is not junk! Suunto has a very good reputation for quality products. You won't be dissapointed with it.

The strap is for when you're wearing a wetsuit, and can't fit the normal strap around your wrist. If I'm wearing a 3mil, mine barely fits. Anything more, you need the extra strap. You use it just like an extension cord. Thread the buckle of the extension onto the side of the fixed strap with the holes, then the extension hole side onto the fixed buckle side.

BTW, I don't think the mosquito is junk, but it is for sure they have had problems with this model. Do a search on this board for "mosquito wrong depth" and you will find a thread relating to this.

As with any computer, you should carry gauge backups.

Lonely Boy, do you still keep a hand written log book and then transfer all your data to the computer. How much did you pay for the software and interface?

Very nice stuff you have there.

Jazz

Jazz,
On my first dive, the battery indicator was only 3 bars of the 4. I went out and bought a 2-pack of batteries at a local convienience (sp?) store for about US$5. I didn't actually replace the battery until about 4 weeks and 5or6 dives later when I got a true LOW warning during a dive. I have no idea how long the new Duracell battery will last.

I still log my dives manually and compute my NDL and pressure group with PADI's Wheel. I don't have an interface yet, but have been looking at the DIY version like bdelaney. The price for the interface was about US$90 at my LDS. With 36hrs of log time, I've got a while to go before the early dives go away.

I'm looking also at the s/w and interface for downloading directly to my PalmOS device. Once that happens, I've been wondering about a program than would apply the PADI multi-level dive rules to find a lower ending pressure group (right now, my manual profiles are all square using max depth and total dive time).

I found the extension strap to be needed over a 6mm cuff, but I can just get by with the normal strap over a 3mm. On my bare wrist, I use the 4th hole in (i.e., each 1mm of wetsuit requires loosening by one strap hole). I'd love to get a slightly longer strap to use all the time as I end up wearing it about halfway up my arm during surface intervals because I tie-wrap the extension strap to the regular strap in order to reduce the failure points of the double buckles.

-Rob

ReefGuy once bubbled...
The strap is for when you're wearing a wetsuit, and can't fit the normal strap around your wrist. If I'm wearing a 3mil, mine barely fits. Anything more, you need the extra strap. You use it just like an extension cord. Thread the buckle of the extension onto the side of the fixed strap with the holes, then the extension hole side onto the fixed buckle side.

BTW, I don't think the mosquito is junk, but it is for sure they have had problems with this model. Do a search on this board for "mosquito wrong depth" and you will find a thread relating to this.

As with any computer, you should carry gauge backups.

Hi Jazz,

I still keep a hand written log book although I do not ask for buddy's verification.

The unit I bought 2 years ago is about USD300 came with the original Suunto transfer cable. The softwate on PC is free of charge and you can download from Suunto's website.

Thank you for visiting my web and your entry on my guestbook.

:D

Slightly off topic but how did you convert the log output to a PDF file? Did you just print it to a PDF driver ?

Im looking for a bit of software that ideally will produce that "print" output and put it as a html file.

I have one, and dove it for aabout year before I had to replace the battery (I am underwater about 3 times a week teaching and dive regularly, so I am sure I used up the juice fast). I also suggest having a back-up battery.

The only bizarre thing I have noticed with mine is that if it is secured too tight on my wrist or around my wetsuit, the water won't reach the sensor and it fails to go into the dive mode!

The majority of the time I use mine as my second computer to my console mounted Oceanic Data Max ProPlus 2., but have dove it as my primary computer as well.

I think it is a great little computer!

String once bubbled...
Slightly off topic but how did you convert the log output to a PDF file? Did you just print it to a PDF driver ?

Im looking for a bit of software that ideally will produce that "print" output and put it as a html file.

If your PC has got Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader), you can print the divelog and in the print menu, you can choose Acrobat Writer as the printer and it will be printed into a pdf file.

There are some other software such as Kai's Office can do this. You can also search in Tuscow to see if there is any pdf converter.

String once bubbled...

For your PDF printing needs download PDF995. It is adware that gives great results, and you don't *have* to see the adverts (if you can click fast enough :) ).

You just print to the installed driver and the results are pleasing. I use this a lot to send buddies a copy of my computer dive log for their information.

If you want HTML output, though, you will need an HTML converter. There is one available from http://vyper.bunny.hu but the site is down at the moment. I tried to attach the file to the first version of this reply :upset:, but the file is too large (+/- 400kb). I can email it to you directly if you wish. Alternately, if anyone would like to host the file, PM me and I will forward it.

It is a logbook to HTML parser that has the ability to reference templates that you create. To be honest, I have not had a chance to play with it yet, but the results the author got were good. My only issue is that the graphs are small. But your mileage may vary:D.

Cheers,

Andrew

I need Suunto Mosquito as they have good reputation. can u tell where I can get one at that price in Hong Kong /UK/ Philippines please. How do Vyper compare?

Back
Top Bottom